Just Bought an 89 GT - The Project begins!

BodyByAAS

Jun 3, 2010
Hey Everyone

I have always been a Chevy guy - Sorry :( But lately I have been attracted to Fords - Mostly Trucks and Mustangs - I finally stumbled upon this 89 foxbody GT with White/Blue leather, New rag top, 89K on it - overall an awesome deal for $1400 - Seats could use some cleaning and a small sew on one spot -try to bring the white back out - but they are still firm, and spongey - feel great!

The car needs a few things - PAINT - there are so many chips, scrapes, etc - but no real damage other then some cracks in the rear bumper. It need new door hinges which the previous owner included with the car - The Horn fell off, the visors are missing - its probably going to need new speakers all around Im guessing - The rag top has one small tear near one of the supports - and it also was moving slowly - the owner said this is cause the compressor has to charge when the car is running and since its been sitting it was weak - not sure how true this is, but we shall see.

Onto more important matters. Everything mechanically with the car seems fine - new waterpump, battery, belts, radiator, fan - engine bay was clean - there was a stain on the pavement but he said it was power steering fluid - which did seem to go in sync with the stains overflowing out of the pump - he said its a hose, but who knows. AC compressor is new - it was FREEZING cold.. surprising for a 21 year old car - Intake is new, engine compression sounded good - No knocks, rocks, etc - def could use a tune up- but at 89K i expected it - Headers looked good, little rusted, but the exhaust and the dumps the owner before him installed all were in good shape - sounded good, no rattles, leaks as far as I could tell.

The MAIN ISSUE:

So the guy didnt want to sell but he was having an issue with the tranny - it just wont go into gear - Only 4th, and itll drive out - although I dont recommend it nor did I try. He told me that when the issue arose he put a new Tranny in it, and it had the same problem, or similar - his english wasn't perfect and my Spanish is even worse. Im not sure what the issue is with it, and I can take it to a tranny shop but Im sure they are just going to want to swap the tranny - What are the odds its just the "shift fork"(I think thats what its called)? Anyway I can tell if the gears arent in sync or if its another issue before I take it to a mechanic and get had?

Here are some pics - I'd appreciate any thoughts/info/suggestions as to what to do with this car - I.e. best way to handle dents, cracks - I am going to paint the car, but with plain white is it ok to get a high end "Maaco" job since its just white?

Thanks guys!!!!

3ne3p23o55U15X55R5a5he8219b7507af115b.jpg

3ne3m13la5P05X55S3a5h1a04d7a4b1ba1b8f.jpg

3m03o13l85O55Z65U3a5hc6e96e573810141a.jpg

3nf3k63ld5T35Q65X6a5hcd76b51822981cac.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Not a bad deal for what you paid. I just bought an 89 hatch my self . Luckly this one didn't Nickle and dime me to death to bad. On paint and body I'm not sure. Mine needs it to and I was actually considering Maco as well cause $$$ is tight. For your tranny I would first try changing the fluid. Mine grinder bad and hated 3-2 downshift but I put royal purple in it and it shifts pretty good now. But it sounds like a syncro issue to me.

Not a bad deal for what you paid. I just bought an 89 hatch my self . Luckly this one didn't Nickle and dime me to death to bad. On paint and body I'm not sure. Mine needs it to and I was actually considering Maco as well cause $$$ is tight. For your tranny I would first try changing the fluid. Mine grinder bad and hated 3-2 downshift but I put royal purple in it and it shifts pretty good now. But it sounds like a syncro issue to me.

Yeah, I might just Bondo and sand the **** myself - im not looking to ever sell this thing for 10K - I jsut want it to look good while I beat it to **** for the rest of my life and then some ******* comes along in 20 years and pays me some retarded amount cause its "collectible"

Ill check the fluid - maybe its just that! Thanks!! Mike

Transmission

It is probably the transmission input shaft bearing in the end of the engine crankshaft. This bearing must turn anytime except fourth gear(1:1 ratio when input and output shaft turn the same RPM). The bearing welded itself to the input shaft.
You said the last transmission did the last thing also. This would also indicate the same problem. The Syncho's may be bad from trying to jam in into gear. The bearing cost $10- 12.00.
You will need to drop the transmission,bell housing, pressure plate and clutch plate to get to the bearing.

Let me ask a question after re-reading your post. Does the transmission go into fourth smoothly?
Does the clutch feel like it engages/disengages about half way through the peddle?

Thanks for your imput - it goes in smoothly, however it does grind a little if I dont get it in 4th with a dead straight shot . when I put it in other gears I hear a little grind or nothing at all.. its like they dont go