Just got a 429......how to extract 500 HP?

67GTA - must've been a mistake earlier...I was basing my opinion on numbers you posted earlier in this thread...
67GTA-FB429 said:
It has about 10:1 compression, 1.7 roller rockers, 286 duration, 540 lift solid lifter cam.

...the .588 lift spec sounds better and since it is a solid will make a lil more power vs the hydraulic, I was pointing out that what you posted earlier seemed a little small >>a 286 advertised duration and .540 gross lift cam didn't seem very stout at all for a BBF, especially one with $6500 in mods...the fact that you have improved the exhaust and intake and thus improved breathing ability, should better make use of your cam. I do agree with your assessment about the ignition...a good spark is essential to making power as well as a good tune. :nice:

BTW, out of curiosity, what brand cam did you go with and what's your duration at .050; is it a split or single profile cam?

• Sponsors (?)

My plan for my 429:

Throw in the complete bottom end from my 460
port and polish heads (done by me)
crane cams 1.7:1 Roller Rockers with a 3-angle valve job
Edelbrock single plane Manifold (W/carburetor to match)
Slightly-aggressive Comp cam to match manifold and carb
headers into flowmasters 40 series mufflers
March Serpentine pulley set, no fan (electric-driven fan)
DUI high energy ignition

So how much estimated WHP would this combo yeild me?

John

67GTA-FB429 said:
Why the serpentine pulleys?

What are you going to do for motor mounts? Radiator? Wiring? Suspension? Driveline? Transmission? Differential? Brakes? Starter? Battery?

All of those have to be strengthened/changed/relocated to handle the torque, heat and weight of a 385 series engine.

Don't forget a drag racing parachute.

68Eleclone said:
My plan for my 429:

Throw in the complete bottom end from my 460
port and polish heads (done by me)
crane cams 1.7:1 Roller Rockers with a 3-angle valve job
Edelbrock single plane Manifold (W/carburetor to match)
Slightly-aggressive Comp cam to match manifold and carb
headers into flowmasters 40 series mufflers
March Serpentine pulley set, no fan (electric-driven fan)
DUI high energy ignition

So how much estimated WHP would this combo yeild me?

John

YOU CANT put a 460 bottom end into a 429, you can however, do the opposite. A 429 bottom end will work in a 460. Im making about 500+rwhp and tq. spent ~$6500. Heres a link to my car and whats done to it, lemme know if you have anymore questions.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=586200

ExplodingGopher said:
YOU CANT put a 460 bottom end into a 429

Really? Whats different?

For the 500rwhp 429, there are three options: fast, cheap, and durable. Problem is you can only pick two.

If you're willing to break the $3500 budget, I was going to suggest a stroker kit and aluminum heads(SCJ or Trick Flows...does Edelbrock have them too?). If not, I agree with the comment that the lower power number will be masked by the diesel-like torque.

Heres why i was concerned

The cranks between the 429 and 460 are interchangeable, but when you interchange them, you have to use the correct pistons. The thing is, the 429 is like a de-stroked 460. to make up for the difference in stroke, they add some height to the piston, so if you put in a 460 crank with 429 pistons, you'll punch a hole in ur heads, etc. Also visa versa, if you put a 429 crank in with 460 pistons, your pistons will be so far down ur block that you'll have like no compression.

Since the conn rods are the same the difference in stroke distance is made up for by moving the piston pin closer to the crown in the 460 slug. Amount is 1/2 the difference between the 3.59" and 3.85" or 1/2 of .260" = .130"

This is of course providing the crank is out of a passenger car and not a truck as the truck engines starting in 79 were externally balanced. If you use the truck crank you must use a weighted flywheel/flexplate and the weighted spacer between the damper and cam gear. To know just look at the spacer behind the damper. If it doesn't have a counterweight on it the crank is internally balanced...

ok, i got 2 engines

Ok, I have 2 engines out on the floor....a long block 460 out of a 74 T-bird, with 80,000 miles, and a 429 out of a 70 T-bird with 68,000 miles. Which motor would be more worth it to use for 500 RWHP? also, what would you guys reccomend for that horse power goal for any of these engines? Any responses would be appreciated.

JOhn

My 460 (for my 67) with over 800 HP and 15 lbs of Procharged boost is sick. It probably cost $7,000 in parts and labor with me finding a good, used D1-X to start with. I just finished another 429 (for "the wife's 72 vert") that I put a 280H cam, 850DP, 90cc C9 heads, Stealth intake and stock exhaust manifolds. It engine dynoed at 420 HP at 5000 rpm, 510 torque at 2,500 for less than $2k. It should be a great street car "for her".

Hey guys, as I am new to mustangs, I am still learning, so please bear with me.

I just picked up a 70 T-Bird, which i took the car just for the engine....a 429 thunderjet, with a C6. I've confirmed the VIN, and it is indeed a 360 HP 429.

Now, I've known that ford underrated these engines, and total output is close to 400. Now I've had a rebuild in mind, as this will go into my 68 Fastback.

I want to do the following:

bottom end rebuild: Stock bottom end, cleaned, and balanced, lightweight damper.
stock heads, Ported and polished, 3 angle valve job, Comp cams 1.7:1 roller rockers
JBA headers, 2.75'' piping, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers finishing into 3'' tips
Edelbrock dual quad setup and the appropriate carbs to match it up
A mild Comp cam to match the carb and manifold setup
March serpentine pulleys, no fan. will be running electric fan
MSD ignition and distributor.

I am looking for 500 WHP, not 500 crank HP. It has always been my dream to have a 500 HP car. Is this all good enough? BTW, it will be running a 4 speed.

Thanks!

John

I have a 70 mustang co, and i put a 429 tj in it. Listen to guys remove shock towers its a real tight fit also u gonna need custom hdrs trust me. I dunno mine and I get 420hp at rear wheels

If I wanted to get big power out of a 460, I'd call Jon Kaase and get his recommendations. Years ago Hot Rod did an article and got around 700hp with only heads, intake, carb and cam on stock 460 bottom end. They used Kaase's stuff since NOBODY makes BBF's run like him.