Just got a 96 Snake, how can I get more power?

mustangcam said:
its really that much of a difference? if i was thinking i was gonna get a blower in about a year for graduation, would 4.10's still make a difference that i could feel until then?
ABSOLUTELY!! Big Time seat of the pants feeling! And MUCH cheaper than that blower for now. You should ALWAYS consider doing gears first in any performance mods!

• Sponsors (?)

I have the following mods in my '98 Cobra:

-4.10's
-K&N CAI
-MSD Coilpacks
-FRPP Ignition Wires
-BBK Hi Flow Catted X-pipe
-Flowmaster Cat-Back
-Steeda Springs
-Tokiko S&S
-SCT Excal 2
-Centerforce Clutch
-Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
-Pro 5.0

...and a few other things. No pullies yet. I used to drive the car 75 miles a day (round trip) back and forth to work every day, and with the 4.10 gears out back, I was getting 21.6 MPG on the highway! Go with the 4.10's or 4.30's, you won't regret it!

Oh, and with a 1.9 60' on Goodyear F-1 street tires, I have run a best of 13.20 @ 108 mph with the car. Not bad, can't wait to actually see it hook so I can get a 12 second slip out of that car.:nice:

Oh, and it's a vert.

56218.jpg

don't expect it.....my tuner was excellent and my car was a freak.

I have ridden in a 4.10 car and mine....the lack of low RPM power needs the extra umph....the difference is minimal. These cars are made to rev.

Do you do a lot of highway driving?

Im glad this thread was up i planed on asking some question regarding the cobras from 96-99 since i will hopefully be picking one up this month. the big issue for my is that i talked to my guy at GTR hipo over here where i live and he said that the bottom end of the motors are real weak???? i like to hear some experience from actual owners of the car as to that comment, considering im going to sell my gt to get this snake somewhere into the 11 or 10 region, what should i worry about??? if say i wanted to spray(50-100 shot)??Or if i go with forced induction???

SiLVeR_96 said:
Im glad this thread was up i planed on asking some question regarding the cobras from 96-99 since i will hopefully be picking one up this month. the big issue for my is that i talked to my guy at GTR hipo over here where i live and he said that the bottom end of the motors are real weak???? i like to hear some experience from actual owners of the car as to that comment, considering im going to sell my gt to get this snake somewhere into the 11 or 10 region, what should i worry about??? if say i wanted to spray(50-100 shot)??Or if i go with forced induction???

Hyperpathetic pistons. The block is awesome and the crank is ok.

To get your power level, you will need forged internals and at least 16 psi.

Don't spray unless you have it set up....these postons are too "hit or miss"

Build the motor first, then get your suspension and powertrain up.

On a stock motor, you are looking at a max (and I mean MAX) of 450 rwhp... That is good for mid-high 11's.

My buddy swapped his 96 mystic power and drive train out with an 03 setup. With 4.30's and 'only' 430 rwhp he went 11.50@119. BUT 430 rwhp in a roots car vs 430 in a centrufigal car is a completely different game....peak vs avg...avg wins.

I am making around 520ish right now....with my weight I should be low 11's @ 122-124ish. I also weigh 200 lbs more than your car too.