Just got car running: Headers glow red!!

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
HELP!! i just got the upper and lower intake on a car i just bought. I got it to run, however, it runs like its missing on a few cylenders. The car does run, i set the timing to 0deg, and i cant figure out what is happining! it pops through the intake, and 2 front headers on the pass side were glowing red hot after letting it ide for like 5 mins, om the driver side, one was glowing also!!! what is this!!! i pulled the plug on the cyls that were glowing while it was running, it had spark and looked fine., and it dident run any diff. so its not running on 1,2 cyls. this makes me think something is any help would be great ! thanks! maby wrong with the injectors?/./.. would they make it do this, run lean? ?

• Sponsors (?)

The timing is retarded and the fuel is burning to late in the cycle and it is in the header, you mention it is at "0" it should be a 10 degrees which is stock...that should take care of your issue.

i have not set my timing up yet but i had a mechanic tell me the other day, that if you set to 14* that the computer would compensate with timing retard which would cause a pinging low enough to be hard to hear but would cause damage. i have heard 14* many times and run a high octane fuel (96 octane) where would he get that this would be a problem, anyone else heard of that

Don't ever take anything to that mechanic because he has no idea what he is talking about.

Most of the time you can get away with 14 degrees on 89 octane, sometimes even 87 but it depends on your climate and air...

The 14 will help gain a few hp across the board and it will be a little quicker to respond, it will not hurt anything.

shorty1993 said:
i have not set my timing up yet but i had a mechanic tell me the other day, that if you set to 14* that the computer would compensate with timing retard which would cause a pinging low enough to be hard to hear but would cause damage. i have heard 14* many times and run a high octane fuel (96 octane) where would he get that this would be a problem, anyone else heard of that

Was that a jiffy Lube "mechanic" or an actual auto tech that told you that wrong advice?? :lol:

hey, not tryin to steal this thread but when my car was missing real bad and before we found out it was a bad plug wire my buddy set my timing to 8 degrees. the car runs good and doesnt miss anymore since i put new wires on it. but im just wondering if its bad to run lower than stock advance. thanks

ok guys!! found the problem!! i was reading a plug wire picture of a non ho motor!!! i took and put the plugs on the dist like they are on my car, and BLAM!! it run great!!! only thing, it seems down on power as far as seat of the pants, my car has all the same stuff, excapt i have some 3:73's. He has an intake and headers, which i dont. Is this normal? or is something possibly causing powerloss? i dont know what a 90 lx would come with for gears.....i bet there high though, it barely gets 2nd. i bet once he gets gears it will rip!. OH also, the fact that fox's have such small tb's....would that make a loss of power over my 95? i know i got the ****ty intake...huh