Just got my 03.

Pumped

Dec 20, 2003
I've been lurking for a few weeks now since I decided to sell my old car and get a Cobra. I picked up a silver 10th anniversary coupe last week for a little over $31k. It was the best deal I could find. I've read about the problems and I decided to use my own best judgement. The car has close to 300 miles on it and I am very impressed with the car so far. The quality seems to be very good and I haven't had any of the common problems people have talked about on this and other boards. I think Coletti, SVT and Ford did a hell of a job.

Now all I have to do is start modding. I think a Bassani exhaust will be first up along with a CAI.

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the new Cobra :nice: your gonna luv it I'm so happy I have mine..I just put a Borla Stinger catback with a steeda cold air set up and power increase was like night and day...and the borlas have a nice deep tone to them ,with a wot roar.. :flag: goodluck with yours and enjoy

Congrats Pumped.

BaD*GT, I'd do an exhaust and CAI first and then wait till about a 1000 miles before you start putting a pulley on it. I got mine on June 10 of last year, no. 21 of all the coupes made. The first batch of 03's were put on a one month hold. I was originally told the car would be here on May 5. I ordered a 99/01 Bassani x/p and catback so it would get here around that time. Since the car was delayed it sat on my floor for a month. When the car got here I drove it straight from the dealer to my home and put it on the car that night with 70 miles on it and it had close to 60 when I got it. Appaently mine was used in a test as were a few other early released 03's. I put a 2.93 pulley on it in late July with around 1500 miles on it and then a 2.80 in August around 2k miles. I then added a four pound lower in June of this year around 20k miles. I would get a S. Fla. Pulley DUB system because more than likely you're going to want to run different pulley combos. Once you get your first dose of easy HP on a dyno, the disease to mod is going to hit you like a brick. I was only going to do the Bassani. I read the rumors that turned out to be true about the 03 tested at PHP dynoing around 380 rwhp in March of last year. I took my 03 to the dyno at 900 miles in late June. The shop is a big Chevy shop. The dyno owner, a friend of mine, asked me what I thought I should get. I told him about the rumors and I thought they weren't true. I told him I hoped to get around 350 with the Bassani and a dropin K&N. His dyno is above ground. After I made the first pull I looked down and he had a puzzled look. He asked me, "What did you say you were expecting". I told him, "Damn, don't tell me it's less than 350". He said, "How about 395". I couldn't believe it. I owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra and I knew how hard it was to get power out of those engines and top 300 rwhp. I ran into a few people in town and they came up and said Darren told them about my car and that he thought I had done more than the exhaust. He didn't know anything about the 03's then. The town where I dyno is about 20 miles from my home and I don't go there much but when I do I always have people come u p and tell me Darren had showed them my dyno graphs. The car made 502 rwhp SAE in late October and 550 rwt. No F-Bodies in this town will try this car. After my first dyno, I went downhill and ended up being :owned: by mod fever.

I'm interested in the 03 Cobra, but I was wondering if anyone could post a short list of the common problems people have found with the 2003 Cobra.

I know just about every year, there's going to be some minor issues. Just wondering what the most common complaints are for those who aren't modding it right away.

Thanks.

Been out of town for a little while. Thanks for the comments. I am very happy with the car. I just turned over 1000 miles. Mods so far, Bassani catback and a 9 inch powerstack air filter. I didn't do a baseline dyno but with the two mods it made 395 rwhp SAE and 379 rwt. I also got my first kill. I ran a C5 from different rolls and once from a dead stop and I had him in all but one run. Man I love this car.

Mmmmm Cobra

Congrats! :nice:

I've had mine for a couple of months now. It has a few rattles, the CV joints need to be replaced and it stalls once and awhile. These seem to be standard for some of the Cobras.

I only have two mods. The Borla Stinger catback and Steeda Tri-ax shifter. The stock shifter sucks ass. A new shifter is a must.

Both are easy to install. The Borla sounds ****ing sweet.

Good luck and enjoy.

Keith

If you haven't been there yet check out
http://www.svtperformance.com
Terminator forums

Pumped said:
I've been lurking for a few weeks now since I decided to sell my old car and get a Cobra. I picked up a silver 10th anniversary coupe last week for a little over $31k. It was the best deal I could find. I've read about the problems and I decided to use my own best judgement. The car has close to 300 miles on it and I am very impressed with the car so far. The quality seems to be very good and I haven't had any of the common problems people have talked about on this and other boards. I think Coletti, SVT and Ford did a hell of a job.

Now all I have to do is start modding. I think a Bassani exhaust will be first up along with a CAI.

That's awesome, I'm jealous! Definitely do midpipe, exhaust, gears, and change the blower pulley, that car will be freakin fast! :D The latest magazine of 5.0, this guy had a silver 03 Cobra that's running 10.90's in the quarter mile with a stock blower :eek:

Pumped said:

Congrats Pumped! :nice:

I hope you enjoy your as much as I do mine hehe. Silver is a beautiful color aint it? 31K for the anniversary is DAMN a good deal, that's about what I paid for the standard. Enjoy your car bro and post your first Dyno results! ;)