Just got my 9 inch third member, had a few questions

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Alright, I am supposed to have gotten a rebuilt, 3.25 posi third member. The unit looks good, feels real solid, the gears look to be in good shape and it turns smooth. The codes I read on the insides read 5AW-4205-8 and C7AWE80... and I know nothing about what any of that means. My one worry is that the few posi's i have seen have had inlaid bolts on the posi unit, and this doesn't have them. Can anyone confirm that this is a posi just by looking at it? Since I don't have axles to slide in yet (they're going to be the ones on the car), is there any way to test it if looking at it/reading codes is inconclusive? Just figure if I got ripped off now is the time to complain (before I install it).

I did take some pictures but my computer is being a pain, I'll try to have them up tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

The numbers you posted sound like the casting numbers off the case (housing) and the pinion support. Those don't have anything to do with the pumpkin being "open" or traction lok. You're right about the ring gear bolts being countersunk on a traction lok unit. Depending on whether you have a "traction lok" or an "equa-lok" unit, the bolts will appear more or less countersunk. Both of these will require using special bolts with a 5/8" head. The open units can use 5/8" or 3/4" headed bolts. A picture would be a great help.