Just got my Parts, Install myself?

CdnNavybob

Nov 24, 2003
I just got my nice little order of parts for my 2000 GT:

C&L Plenum - not too impressed with the finish, I was expecting it to be smoother inside
accufab 70mm Throttlebody - Nice looking part. Shiny.
Steeda CAI - Yup. It's a CAI.
Steeda underdrive pullies
Steeda Timing Adjuster
FRPP 4.10's
Steeda Tri Ax
DM speedo Recal
Bassani o/r X pipe
Hooker Aeroflow Mufflers

What can a guy who doesn't turn many wrenches do himself?

I think I can do the tri-ax easily enough if I can get the interior bits pulled out without wrecking anything. The C&L instructions say that pretty much anybody should be able to do that in half an hour.

The 4.10's and exhaust stuff are being done in shop, no questions asked.

What about the rest of this stuff? How easy is it going to be for me, with very little experience? So far the extent of my parts changing knowledge comes from changing the alternator (twice) in my 1990 2.3L lx.

• Sponsors (?)

You should pretty much be able to handle most of that stuff alone like the intake stuff and the shifter is no problem. The only thing else id worry about is the underdrive pulleys and timing adjuster, just make sure you have the tools you need and take your time as you can possibly break the bolt off in the crankshaft. It might help to get someone you know to help out and read up about the installs online. Good luck, did you win the lottery or just save for a while til you have enough for everything you needed. :D Let us know how each one reacts.

The intake and shifter definetely be able to do yourself, if you haven't turned many wrenches I would leave the rest up to someone else, IMO. I just did the Steeda shifter today, you will need an 8mm (socket), 10mm(wrench), and a 13mm (socket). Took me about 15 minutes and that includes scraping the gasket off and applying some silicon. Pretty straight forward and man what a difference it made, it feels awsome. The CAI install was alright, the one I had did not have any instruction, but I would have had it installed in under 1/2 hour had I not started from the wrong end. Everything comes out nice and look a whole lot cleaner when done. Good Luck :nice:

A:
C&L Plenum
accufab 70mm Throttlebody

Put these together off the car, then remove the stock plenum / TB combo from the car and remove and install the TPS on the new plenum, this can be done in about *ahem* an hour with simple tools.

At this point remove your stock air tube / MAF / filter housing to install the CAI.

B:
Steeda CAI
Directly after installing new plenum, this will bolt right on. Should take about an hour, even easier then the plenum install.

---

C:
Steeda underdrive pullies
Steeda Timing Adjuster

These need to be done together, you'll need an impact wrench (or a big breaker bar) and probably another 2 hours at a casual pace. Depending on how you go about it, you might have to take off the radiator fan to get clearence for an impact wrench (I had a big ass electric one which couldn't fit). If you have air tools, you'll be able to drive the car onto ramps and just take the crank bolt off no problem. You will need an impact for the alternator for sure though.

---

D:
Steeda Tri Ax
45min max your first time, this is cake. Just make sure you have some sort of pry bar to make life easier when taking off the stock shifter.

---

E:
FRPP 4.10's
DM speedo Recal

Take this to a shop you know and trust will do a good job. You can install the DM speed cal yourself pretty easy, but it needs to be done as soon as the gears are installed. It'd also be a good decision to get a bearing kit with the gears.

F:
Bassani o/r X pipe
Hooker Aeroflow Mufflers

Do these the same day, and install the O/R X pipe yourself to save you on labor charges. Bolt on the X pipe to your stock 'catback' and when your car is brought to an exhaust shop, they'll cut off the stock mufflers with the stock flow tubes in place ... less hassle and time spent = less labor $$.

Tylerb59 said:
A:
C&L Plenum
accufab 70mm Throttlebody

Put these together off the car, then remove the stock plenum / TB combo from the car and remove and install the TPS on the new plenum, this can be done in about 2-3 hours with simple tools.
???? 2-3 hours???

More like 30 minutes as long as your TPS cooperates. If you can't get the TPS within 5 minutes, just go buy another one. Other than that, it takes 30 mins, max.

:)
Being realistic about someone who doesn't turn wrenches much, and most likely not familar with the car. Plenty of unexpected joys come up ... like having to figure out how to remove a tube that won't budge or battling clearences.

Those stupid TPS screws ... I ended up grinding the @$&# off with a dremel and that process wasn't the quickest either.
Given a casual pace, plus I had to install a 1/2 spacer while trying to fit everything under a strut brace it wasn't exactly the quickest mod I've ever done. A lot of trial error trying to figure out the best approach to hooking everything up .. namely the EGR which wasn't cooperating with the different heights because of the spacer and that metal tubing isn't very forgiving.

Heck, the second time you do it, just like everything else you'd fly through it in less then 30. But the first time is always a learning experience...