Just installed goodies, but have some probs

str8stang036

Dec 28, 2002
Miami
I just finished installing typhoon intake, 42's, 80mm Pro-M, Summit radiator, and a Vortech S-trim. I also did the fox TB style swap. My two problems are that I cant find a belt to go with my smog deleted. I tried various sizes and nothing. The next problem is that when I started up the car for the first time it revved up to 3K and stayed there.

I spoke to Vib and he said I most probably need to get a smog pump delete kit. The problem with my belt was that I kept getting a smaller size belt but the tensioner was still to its loose position. Dont know why, and the tensioner still works fine so it cant be that.

The other idle problem Vib said it could be from the TPS being messed up. I need to try and get it close to .94 I think he said. Also, since I did the fox TB swap I needed to change the connectors for the TPS, so I wanted to make sure I connected it right. So if anyone know please chime in.

How can I get the car to run decent for now? I am getting the tweecer soon, but until then I need to manage with something.

• Sponsors (?)

smogdelete.jpg

The length of the belt can be a little different but I haven't heard of going as small as you have just to delete the smog. It almost sounds like your tensioner is starting to go on you.

thats exactly like I routed it, but it seems that with the vortech mounting bracket the tensioner has been moved just a little further back to the point that it doesnt put ay tension on it because its at it loose point already.

Im going to check the tensioner today, it is a logical idea.

Your idle problem is due to too much air getting to the engine at idle speed. Check to see if your butterfly is ALL THE WAY closed at idle.

If it is, you either forgot to hook up a vacuum line, or your IAC valve is stuck open, allowing too much air to bypass the butterfly and get to the engine.
Scott

Hopefully you got everything running decent. I was suprised your car started with all that. My car flooded then wouldn't restart with 42lb injectors. Since you changed TB's and TPS I'm sure your idle problem is in that area. Just needs some tuning and you will be OK.

I made my own egr delete for the fox TB. When I went to put the throttle cable bracket on I was a little off and that gave butterfly an open position already. I checked it to make sure it was that , and when I changed the postion to being almost closed the car would die. I guess it was being flooded like joe said.

Im going to change out the 42's for the 19's today til I can get the tweecer. Otherwise its just worthless having the car not being able to tune because I cant run it. So I change it out in a month when I get the tweecer. I know ill probably not be able to be in boost because of fuel, but I just want to make sure everything is running fine.

I have all the vaccum lines hooked up, there is not one single line missing, but ill have to check the IAC.

Joe- How do I check the TPS again?

Don't bother getting the smog pump delete kit, just re-clock your tensioner. I had the same problem and that's what I did. Your tensioner sits in a 12 & 6 o'clock position right now what you want to do is pull it off and drill a new hole in the bracket so that it sits in a 9 & 3 o'clock postion. That will take care of your loose belt problems.

If you changed your TPS I'd look there first, also where is the bump stop screw on the TB set to?

U_BN- thats not a bad suggestion. Ill try that tomorrow morning, and get back to you.

I changed out the injectors and the car started fine, all I had to do was set the bump stop screw to a postion where it wouldnt turn off and that was it.

I checkd the timing and I put it back to where it was before 10*. But I still feel that I might be off by a tooth or so. How can I tell without driving it? The TPS changed but it already came installed in the new TB. Im going to put a scanner on it tomorrow to see whats up.