Just installed TW /B-31 cam NEEDED help with tune timing/fuel pressure ect.

Slow5.0

Feb 13, 2003
Portland, OR
Two days ago I installed TW heads, B-31 AFM cam, but timing was kinda little bit off 18*, and I have pinging realy bad, so I retard timing to 10* and now pinging is less than before
I wanna know what timing you guys use with aftermarked heads,cam what fuel pressure , what spark plugs and what else ....

• Sponsors (?)

Since you have started like 3 or 4 threads all about the same thing.....

In your other thread someone said the Autolite spark plugs you should be running with the TW heads, 3925's or 3924's i THINK. 3924's are the colder plug i believe.

Im pretty sure they say to start your pressure at about 40 psi and work from there. You might want to try bumping it up but from your other million posts it seems like you have tried that.

All else fails, get the tweecer and get on a dyno for you a/f ratio.

GOOD LUCK

nmcgrawj said:
Since you have started like 3 or 4 threads all about the same thing.....

In your other thread someone said the Autolite spark plugs you should be running with the TW heads, 3925's or 3924's i THINK. 3924's are the colder plug i believe.

Im pretty sure they say to start your pressure at about 40 psi and work from there. You might want to try bumping it up but from your other million posts it seems like you have tried that.

All else fails, get the tweecer and get on a dyno for you a/f ratio.

GOOD LUCK

:stupid: :stupid:

I think you said you had a 87-93 MAF right? Well if you do, then our fuel/timing tables are different im pretty sure between the years.

SO, i bet if you got the right year MAF it might go away. BUT, you need a tune anyway RIGHT?! SO just get the tweecer and redo the timing tables with that.

I was talking to a guy who put a 351w in a 95 cobra. I know this is a different set up but i think its the same idea. He put a A9L comp. (87-93 computer) in his car. Since the timing was different, at like 4k rpm's he had almost 20 extra degrees of timing or something INSANE like that. So he is putting the 95 computer back in and getting a tweecer.

Im pretty sure this is causing your problem....

Hope this helps you out....

Fuel couse pinging, last night I pump with new 93 octane and now ping just in 5th gear, I still have timing on 10*, meybe I should bump to 14* again ?????
Whats is the best timing with aftermarket heads and cam

it is NOT because of the fox meter...there are plenty of guys running fox meters on our cars...the fuel/timing curves are not stored within the electronics of the MAF....the MAF reads how fast the air cools the elements inside the meter and relays that signal to the EEC, that is its function....you need a tune Ernie...retard the timing even more and DONT drive it hard AT ALL until you tune it...if you keep pushing it your gonna start blowing HG's or worse causing some serious internal problems...because if you can hear the detonation, the damage can already be done...get it tuned before throwing anymore money at it....the only thing i can think of left to try is try messing with how the MAF sits in there...the 75's are picky, and some find twisting it a little one way or another helps...and try and get the intake as straight as possible...id i remember right the 75's dont like to many bends....i still recommend the Pro-M 80mm sa the perfect meter but you need to make do with what you have....GET A TUNE!!!....there is no better advice that can be given on these boards...you dont need to put different plugs in there right now, you dont need to mess with the timing right now, and you dont need to mess with the fuel right now....you need to get that thing to a professional with experience in dyno tuning and let him mess with it...you just cant do it in your garage unless you have a tweecer and a wideband 02 sensor and really know what your doing.....

Anthony

Slow5.0 said:
Fuel couse pinging, last night I pump with new 93 octane and now ping just in 5th gear, I still have timing on 10*, meybe I should bump to 14* again ?????
Whats is the best timing with aftermarket heads and cam
LEAVE IT AT 10* UNTIL ITS TUNED PROPERLY...if anything drop it to like 8*...if it pings with 93 octane and 10* its gonna be worse with 14* of timing....

...like i said dont mess with anything else, you cant dial in a heavily modded car's A/F and what not by messing with the timing, FP, and spark plugs....its got to be PROFESSIONALLY tuned....i dont care what your mechanic friend who has worked on Mustangs for years and swears by TW heads says you CANNOT fix this in your driveway, or his shop...the car needs to go to someone with serious tuning knowledge...because your gonna be shopping for a new bottom end if you dont get a tune

Anthony

Too bad , guy who wanna tune my car in his "Power House" shop wanna $600 for tune :(
I can buy Tweecer for $560 and tune with my self million times
For now my mechanic will check A/F with wide band , then he will tune when he finish with his new garage for dynojet