Just open the boxes for my new hellion turbo ki

05drive

Aug 14, 2005
Ahh finally dream come true just received my hellion turbo kit. I will not be able to install it for a few months because im saving up for new shortblock, trickflow top end kit, and a tremec tranny. Im going to pull the original cobra motor with everything still together and not use one single original part I will get all old but new stuff. Any advice on the turbo setup would be great, such as what kind of things I will need to keep the bottom end together. I will only be running around 10-12 psi.

• Sponsors (?)

05drive said:
Ahh finally dream come true just received my hellion turbo kit. I will not be able to install it for a few months because im saving up for new shortblock, trickflow top end kit, and a tremec tranny. Im going to pull the original cobra motor with everything still together and not use one single original part I will get all old but new stuff. Any advice on the turbo setup would be great, such as what kind of things I will need to keep the bottom end together. I will only be running around 10-12 psi.

That kit is very well made. Hopefully, it will install as easily as advertised. Did you go with the base turbo included in the kit (62mm)? How much power are you wanting at the tires?

Yeah I did go with the base kit, i wanted to get the t66 ball bearing but i need to save that extra money for the other parts I need.I would like to make between 500 and 600 reliably I only drive the car on weekends and wont race it. maybe take it too the track a few times and then scare some imports on the street occasionally, I have been reading on Turbomustangs.com and there hasnt been any complaints on the install.

As far as the bottom end of your engine goes, you should be fine with a girdled 2-bolt sportsman block, nodular iron crank, and good set of forged rods and pistons. This will certainly provide the foundation for the reliability that you are after.:nice:

loud 95 said:
As far as the bottom end of your engine goes, you should be fine with a girdled 2-bolt sportsman block, nodular iron crank, and good set of forged rods and pistons. This will certainly provide the foundation for the reliability that you are after.:nice:

I dont have the budget for that now i will probably run a girdled stock block and run maybe 450 hp that should be quite reliably just as long as i dont beat on it and get a safe tune.

just wondering... why buy a turbo kit now if you weren't planning to put it on as soon as possible...

from your plans it sounds like it would be a better idea to build the engine first

05drive said:
alright cool thanks for the help, now i just need to find an already built shortblock that someone isnt using.
If you aren't going to use a decent block I'd probably just look for a good used stock short block for now. If you put half way decent parts in a stock block it's just going to crack anyway. 450 "should" (in most cases) be alright for a while. Some crack at 300 and some last at 500. :) How good is your luck? :shrug:
Congrats on getting the kit. I am sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. Those smaller turbos spool quick on the 5.0's.

tarch said:
just wondering... why buy a turbo kit now if you weren't planning to put it on as soon as possible...

from your plans it sounds like it would be a better idea to build the engine first[/QUOTE
Well it doesnt really matter which one i would have done first, I wouldnt be tearing into the car until i had everything I needed anyways.

05drive said:
I dont have the budget for that now i will probably run a girdled stock block and run maybe 450 hp that should be quite reliably just as long as i dont beat on it and get a safe tune.

Have you thought about buying a short block? I got a DSS pro-bullet sb with the stud girdle/windage tray... cheaper than I could buy the parts and have the machine work done locally. (seems like it was 16-1700 bucks, something like that...)

When I got it, I still took it apart and did some detail work that they dont have/take time to do, but the parts/work were good.

Just a thought...
Dave-

Listen to Jon and just bolt it onto what you've got, if the tune is right it will last just fine at the power levels you're talking about. there are litterally dozens of cars on tm.com with box stock shortblocks, and even a few stock long blocks, making 400+whp and some much more than that (I've seen numbers upwards of 550, although those seem to be shorter lived).

If you want to make 500 to 600 HP you need to spend the money on a Dart or R block. A stock block with a girdle wont' hack it. The extra cost of the block is cheaper than building a motor twice.

WaterPog said:
Listen to Jon and just bolt it onto what you've got,

Agreed, tuning when it comes to f/i is so important and what so many people seem to overlook. Most people don't want to spend the money on proper engine management and an hour on the dyno and then compain their asses off when the car runs like crap and then they toast a piston due to detonation or improper fueling.

I agree 100% with Jon and Pog as well.