Just orderd a 2011 GT premium 5.0. Will i be disapointed???

Burns331

Jun 12, 2010
I just orderd a new 2011 GT premium Mustang.

5.0 6spd Auto
Kona blue

I have been reading all the hype on the new 5.0 with 412hp and 390tq. And about 12.7 quarter's. with 4.4s 0-60.

Is this stuff accurate. I just read somewhere that the new mustang wont get to the low 13's even?

Im going to be upset if this thing doesnt perform as i have been reading.

What can i suspect?

• Sponsors (?)

very correct sir. But it seems most of the vids might be a 6spd manual with 3.73 gears.

I want to know what the 3.15 gear and 6spd auto will do?

Im sure the manual will perform great.

Im wondering if i will be disappointed in the auto.

I just orderd a new 2011 GT premium Mustang.

5.0 6spd Auto
Kona blue

I have been reading all the hype on the new 5.0 with 412hp and 390tq. And about 12.7 quarter's. with 4.4s 0-60.

Is this stuff accurate. I just read somewhere that the new mustang wont get to the low 13's even?

Im going to be upset if this thing doesnt perform as i have been reading.

What can i suspect?

I don't think you will be disappointed though you will need a few things to make the auto fun and feel fast. You will want 3.73 gears (this is a must in my opinion) seeing as the 5.0 likes to rev high. Also you will want a tune for your transmission (an SCT Xcal 3) after that you will love the auto.

Driving one will not be an option around here for awhile.

And im sure the 5.0 6spd manual with 3.73 will live up to the hype.

Im a bit worried about the 6spd auto with 3.15 gears. I thought it was rated at the same 1/4 mile.

Okay, basically i want to know if the Mustang 5.0 with the automatic 6spd, will beat a 02 WS6 Trans am in the quarter mile.

The 02 WS6 can snap the 1/4 off in 13.2 seconds.

So can the mustang 5.0 with an automatic get close to 13 second flat quarter mile.

My new 2011 V6 with Pony Pkg

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gifI just drove home my new 2011 V6 with the Pony Pkg in candy apple red; it is quite a car. I also still have a highly modded 1995 6speed Camaro Z28 with 400HP. So i, now, have a daily driver and a hot rod.

I love the new Mustang. I traded a 2006 Mustang, Pony Pkg in and there is no comparison between the two ponies. The 2011 handles like a Ferreri and stops like one too. Except for the rear view mirror adjustment there is no similarity. BlueTooth, 305 stock HP and Sync are so advanced that I feel foolish having spent $19,000 souping up the Camaro. Alan Mullali, Ford's CEO, has kicked ass and made the engineers and designers at Ford push the envelope to the edge and beyond. His staff understands what enthusists want and he demands thay they provide it without a bunch of excuses. All the best concepts from Asia, areospace, information technology, Silicon Valley and European auto manufacturing and are baked into the Ford Mustang. Continuous improvement means he'll put more good ideas, styling and technology into the 2012 models and I won't be foolish again and spend so much modding when I know next year's Ford will be better from jump street. So I am happy with America and my new Ford. If the next year's car is a quantum leap forward like the 2011 was, I'll trade up if it makes financial sense thttp://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/images/smilies/patriot.gifo do so.

Okay, basically i want to know if the Mustang 5.0 with the automatic 6spd, will beat a 02 WS6 Trans am in the quarter mile.

So can the mustang 5.0 with an automatic get close to 13 second flat quarter mile.

It should. Just for reference most guys with the 03-04 cobras run at least 4.10 gears because that engine likes to rev just like the new 5.0. The stock low gears will bog the car down off the line. I know my 01 gt is completely different then the new 5.0 auto but my car had 3.27 gears stock. I then went with 3.73s and wish I put those gears in as my first mod. As of last year I now run 4.10 gears and think they are perfect. Also running 3.73s will not kill your mpg. I still get over 23mpg on the highway at 70mph with 350hp, 4.10 gears and stage II cams.

the auto is just as fast as the manual. rear end gearing is unimportant for the auto. it has a 4.17 first gear. get the optional rear and gear for it if you want more.

i recently slammed the brakes on so the girlfriend could see its 104' 60-0 stopping power. the cigarette was pulled out of her hand. it will take glasses off of your face. it feels like being in a wreck. slam and instant stop.

handles better than any previous mustang BY A LONG MARGIN!

gets great economy if you take it easy. i get 23 city. but i run it in 6th gear. it pulls like an automatic. put it in high gear and let the motor do the work. pulls steep hills at 40mph in 5th.(1500rpm)

1000 rpm in 6th gear at 40mph city driving.

all that stuff about it being hype is bull ****. it has 62hp on an ls1. and its underated by about 10hp.

its really a 420hp motor. when we get tuners for 7200 rpm shifts, the ET's at the track will drop sharply for 3.73 cars.

12rwhp for just a tuner(380rwhp)

411rwhp for headers and catted X-pipe = street legal. without a tune.

the lowest rwhp ive seen so far is 355. the average is 365. the highest is 376rwhp. those numbers are options regulated. (gearing)

the only way you will be disapointed is if you expect to take on highly modded cars. you will lose.

but if you add all of the bolt ons and get near 435rwhp. well it speaks for itself.

.97g is pretty good.
104' stopping is pretty good
13.2-12.6 is pretty good for a stock car in the 1/4 mile.
mph in the 1/4 = 109 -112

you drive a 2011 against any LS1 stock for stock you will win by about .6 seconds on the same day.

line up right next to the WS-6. have tires to hook. if the ws6 gets out on you, dont panic, you blow right by him. you will trap 3-6 mph higher

your question about 13.0 in the 1/4 for an auto coyote? what conditions are you talking about? 1400 track altitude on a hot day? nope. 13.5 for that. the ws6 will lose by .3-.6 anyway.

if you are talking corrected times, your auto will run 12.9 - 12.7 every time if you 60' the car.

Auto cars come with 3.15's. No options available.

I also have a 2000 WS6. I think many forget those cars were underated as well. Most made closer to 330-340hp. Mine, bone stock with 500 miles did 298rwhp on a 90 degree day. With basic bolt ons without headers it did 340 to the wheels. I ran 12.8's and 113-114 mph all day. It now has a 6.2 being put in. :) The point, watch out, thems old chevys are kinda quick. ;)

My 5.0 is definitely faster than stock or mild bolt on cars. I sell Fords, so the auto is not quite as quick and responsive (naturally) but when you put your boot into it, it gets up and goes for sure. You won't be dissappointed. It'll still need an intake, exhaust and tune tho.

-L

Yes, there is a difference between what you will run on averge or "all day long" and what's "possible" with the perfect run on the perfect day on the perfect track.
I read about one of the tuners that tested their new automatic stock and got 13.03 backed up with 13.02....impressive. I think it will probably do 13.1 - 13.2 all day on any given day, but as for how fast is possible....Well, keep in mind that it was a new car and that automatics don't come with the sticky Perreli summer tires. So considering that and the 3:15 rear gears, 13 flat is impressive. They said it spun so bad with the hard stock tires that they just took off from idle and eased into it. Every time they tried to rev a little and let of the brake and go, it just spun too bad. I also read another automatic review and the guy didn't get any times but said it spun the tires like crazy on take off.
Now, with all that said, I think when the car is well broken in, say 10 to 20 thousand, it will go 12's on a good day. Throw some summer perrellis like come with the Brembo package and you will be solid 12's. Drag radials may get you as low as 12.5 or 12.6. Evan Smith went 12.3 on nothing but drag radials with a standard so this sounds reasonable for an automatic. SCT tunes are getting 31 peak rear wheel horse power for automatics and as much as 50 horsepower at points below the peak. That should take three tenths off the quarter so now we are around 12.2-12.3 for tires and tune ( it may get more as it will probably increase the speed of the shifts as well. Add some 3:55 or 3:73 gears and you should get 11's.
I am thinking about an automatic so I've been trying to follow closely. I'm not sure if it will do it or not, but looking at the math it seems reasonable that you could got 11's on tire, tune, and gear......that's incredible to me.
But back to the original posters question, no you won't be dissapointed. Let it get broke in and if you are set on twelves, get some drag radials or maybe just some softer summer tires like the Perrellis and it should do it all day long.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. We just got our shop car and I'm certainly impressed with it. Ours has a manual but from what I've seen the autos are right there with them.

We picked up the car, drove it 200 miles right onto the dyno and made 385RWHP / 359RWTQ SAE in stock trim. That was after a half dozen pulls, coolant temp at 220*, air intake temp at 115* so you don't get more real world than that.

Next we loaded an SCT tune on the Xcal3 and gave that a shot. We made some adjustments here and there and the best pull with the tune was 400RWHP / 388RWTQ SAE all on 87 octane. It might have made more with 93 octane as we had some detonation with the tune on 87 octane.

We took it to the track last night and went 12.84 @ 111 without the tune and a 1.94 60 foot time and 12.54 @ 112.63 with the tune and a 1.91 60 foot time. Given the weather conditions at the time of the runs I'm guessing the DA was in the 2000' range.

Bill