Just purchased an 03 GT 5spd! Why does it feel slower then my stock 90 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

You leave the parking brake on? JK jk:) Have you checked under the hood since you've got? Could probably use a tune-up. Check the air filter, spark plugs, oil, etc. If everything is runnin' fine there you may want to get it on the dyno.

I read these cars are a little fastre then the 5.0's but it feels like it has less torque????? Is it because of the better suspension?

The '03 and your '90 both have about the same rated torque: 302ft-lbs@4000 RPM and 300ft-lbs@3000 RPM respectively. That extra thousand RPM makes a difference in perceptions at low speed. The newer GT probably weighs more than your 5.0 did too...

Still, the newer GT boasts a 35HP increase in power (260 vs 225) and that shows up in quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile times when both cars get to stretch their legs some.

The newer car's suspension may have had some bushing tweaks to quell some NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) which might lead, again, to a perception that the newer car is slower.

Stock to stock though, the 03 really should be quicker.

i believe the 5.0s feel like they have more torque down low..plus they are lighter..so that might make it feel like its faster on the butt dyno

Yup, a couple hundred fewer pounds of wieght and a more than a few extra pounds of torque down low makes a real difference subjectively... and objectively if you race below 3500 RPM :D

Gears will correct that feeling.

I took a Miata driver for a ride in my Cobra one time, as 1st wound out and out and out his eyes started bulging and he yelled SHIFT! I replied; "Shift!? She still has a ways to go..." Proceeded to wind out 2 and 3 he said it was a lot different than the Miata... :rlaugh:

The cars eventually hit a wall though and wow it can be embarrassing hitting the limiter!

I took a Miata driver for a ride in my Cobra one time, as 1st wound out and out and out his eyes started bulging and he yelled SHIFT! I replied; "Shift!? She still has a ways to go..." Proceeded to wind out 2 and 3 he said it was a lot different than the Miata... :rlaugh:

The cars eventually hit a wall though and wow it can be embarrassing hitting the limiter!

Sounds like he's an idiot... stock for stock the Miata should have a couple thousand RPM on a modular. The power difference of course is night and day.

The Miata driver drives a four-banger. There's more going on in at 4000 rpms in a 4.6 than his engine has ever seen, so it seems like the engine must be about to self-destruct. Taking it over 6 grand is probably something he's never witnessed.

my 306 foxy lady was slower then my almost stock except bolt ons 97gt, and the fox dynoed 298hp and 378ft/lbs of torque. while the 97 dynoed 226hp and 354ft/lbs of torque. my fox had 3.73s and the 97 has 4.10s. the 97 ran 8.97 in the 1/8th while the fox went at 9.01. the 97gt times were consistant 4 out of 5 times i ran them both in the same night. while the fox i tried to get to run faster it went 7 out of 10 times. so i dont know, they both have sub frame connectors, and no they dont have any weight reduction.