just test drove a 97 gt and have some questions before i go with it

Demented4.6

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2001
DAYTON, OHIO
ok so i have been looking at trading my Buit 88gt for a mostly stock 97gt. the 97 has new front brakes, new inner/outer tie rods and these mods

Steeda short throw shifter
BBK CAI
BBK O/R H pipe
Flowmaster 40 series
3:73's with new bearings in the whole rear end
Eibach Pro springs
Eibach shocks
Eibach struts
Steeda X2 ball joints

He is also incuding
- PI heads/cams/intake
- FRPP Head Gasket changing kit
- Zex 100 HP dry shot of nitrous (everything included down to the switches and brackets)
- MSD window switch for nitrous
- Custom Purge line to shoot out the side of the hood
- 24 LB injectors
- 80 MM MAF
- Painted Windsor Valve covers for the heads
- Subframe Connectors
- 255 LPH Fuel Pump

so after driving the car i have some questions. First off the rpm's seem to hang a good bit between shifts. it feels off but i have not driven or been in a 4.6 car before. also the clutch doesnt seem to grab untill the last inch or so of travel. are they known for stretching clutch cables or?? im sure it is stock clutch and has around 120,000 mi on the car.

I figure my 88 worth 5500-6000. i know he paid 3500 for his car plus all the extras he has.

• Sponsors (?)

i agree but i have lost interest in it since buying my sportbike and it has sat since 05. got a baby on the way so i would like to still have a stang but something with a little more creature comforts like AC etc. besides my 88 is retarded loud and solid motor mounts make it a lil rough for cruisin around lol.

The hanging RPM in between shifts is normal on the 4.6L. It's not a sign of a mechanical problem, so you need not worry. But if it's annoying you enough, you can try this mod: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/541046-fix-your-slow-dropping-hanging-rpms.html

As for the high friction point of the clutch pedal, it's probably a sign of a worn clutch. You might as well get a new clutch cable with a new clutch kit though. I'd hate to be stranded because of a broken cable. (well, for any reason, lol)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but based on your appraisal of your current car and the 97, you value the 88 more. So why not add the creature comforts that the 97 has and end up with a better overall car?
IMO, fox body > sn95.

i agree but i have lost interest in it since buying my sportbike and it has sat since 05. got a baby on the way so i would like to still have a stang but something with a little more creature comforts like AC etc. besides my 88 is retarded loud and solid motor mounts make it a lil rough for cruisin around lol.

you posted before i hit the submit button to reply.

this sounds reasonable, i guess. i still have mixed feelings about you parting with your built fox. it seems it might be a major regret down the road. IDK.

The clutch is likely at the end of its life, so you need to consider that expense. Cables do stretch, but with 120K miles, it's probably the disk.

Hanging RPMs is typical in the 4.6L...to some extent everyone complains about it.

I think this is a poor trade. I'd look for a new edge...

Well the car in question has the PI h/c/i so from a performance standpoint it should be on par with a new edge. And with that nitrous you should be keeping up with LS1 f-bodies.
So if you prefer the looks of the new edge you can search for one but either way, I'd try to keep the fox.

The hanging RPM in between shifts is normal on the 4.6L. It's not a sign of a mechanical problem, so you need not worry. But if it's annoying you enough, you can try this mod: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/541046-fix-your-slow-dropping-hanging-rpms.html

As for the high friction point of the clutch pedal, it's probably a sign of a worn clutch. You might as well get a new clutch cable with a new clutch kit though. I'd hate to be stranded because of a broken cable. (well, for any reason, lol)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but based on your appraisal of your current car and the 97, you value the 88 more. So why not add the creature comforts that the 97 has and end up with a better overall car?
IMO, fox body > sn95.

I honestly don't know the value of the 97 with the mods and the additional parts. also the pi stuff has not been installed but he has all the parts for the swap. car has also not seen any nitrous etc.. this is all just parts he has collected to install

I honestly don't know the value of the 97 with the mods and the additional parts. also the pi stuff has not been installed but he has all the parts for the swap. car has also not seen any nitrous etc.. this is all just parts he has collected to install

perhaps it might be worth looking into then since it could be a project car being that he hasnt torn into the engine. i would request cash given to you for a fair trade if you go through with this.

i am curious tho. since these mods are not installed that means theyre new, if he throws them into the deal, i guess it would legitimately increase the value of the sale/trade since theyre not installed, which usually decreases the value of the car....very interesting..

well, as others have said you could always replace the motor mounts in your current car and put the AC back in.

On the other hand, an overhead cam V8 is a different experience than a 5.0 fox body. Once the PI parts are installed, you'd have a pretty quick '97. Sell the nitrous kit, install the subframe connectors, buy some decent exhaust and you'd be set :) (Well except for tires. Get some good tires with the money from the nitrous kit, plus whatever you have in your wallet :) )

I had about 120K miles on my car when I swapped the clutch due to a bad throw out bearing. It was in surprisingly good shape but I swapped it anyway just for the fact I had the tranny pulled anyway. I would look at a new cable 1st. If it doesn't have a firewall adjuster, get one. Mate it with a OEM cable and you are set. I've never had any luck with the aftermarket adjustable cables.

I was in this same boat in Feb. I wanted a newer more comfortable car to drive (wife always gets the brand new cars, you know how that works) and really gave selling my Fox a hard look. I got lucky enough to be able to buy a newer Mustang and still keep the really fun one to drive. I'm glad it worked out that way because I would have really missed the Fox, I know that now after driving my 96' GT most of time. I would keep the Fox and wait until you get your taxes, assuming you get anything (some owe) and start saving until then.

you have a built fox with solid motor mounts and no AC and want to trade out for a non-PI 2v that doesnt drive well!?!?!?!

ya, pretty much LOL.. Im just pretty much tired of my stang. ya its quick, ya its fun but as i get older im less worried about the power it has and more into just having a nice car i can drive anywhere, be it car show or just cruise around. Even though my 88 is a fun car and pretty nice it still needs some work here and there. I have put so much time and money into the 88 and yet i still see a ton of things i don't like about it not to mention the rust issues the hatch mustangs have. hell it has sat since 05 and not bothered me a bit, mainly because i have my sport bike but still why keep it..

but besides that, as i am more concerned is i don't want to lose my butt in this trade and i don't want to be stuck with a pos too. Im thinking the 97 plus all the parts and $500-800. that way i can sell the nitrous kit, get a clutch kit and the wheels i want. I already have a complete 96gt black interior to swap out the tan interior which i could then sell it and the cobra r's it has now and recoupe some money. then if i could get the 97 to around 300hp at the wheels i would be right back where i was with the 88.

i appreciate all your guys opinions and as far as i can tell everyone thinks i would be better keeping my 88, so i might do a little more looking around before i make any decisions. thanks guys