Just wondering, whats the best intake for a stock 5.0???

• Sponsors (?)

Send a private message (pm) to tmoss on the forum here. He ports the stock lower intake for a very reasonable price (much less expensive than replacing the whole thing) which significantly improves its flow characteristics. The lower is the biggest bottleneck to flow on the stock engine - he can tell you what to expect in terms of improvements.

Edelbrock performer and it's long runners will net you some great gains on a stock 5.0.. It's a tried and true intake and I picked up a ton of ET when I did the swap on an old set stock long block set up. you can usually find them used in the 3-350 range

From the research I have done the street heat by Trick Flow is a very good bang for buck aftermarket intake. It even seemed to out perform the track heat from Trick Flow. I had a dyno sheet on a mostly stock motor with all the intakes and the street heat was 3rd. The only better ones was the Holley and I think the Performer RPM but not by much. If your completely stock the I've heard the larger flowing intakes can hurt more than they help.

CRASH7772 said:
I had a dyno sheet on a mostly stock motor with all the intakes and the street heat was 3rd. The only better ones was the Holley and I think the Performer RPM but not by much.

Do you still have access to that sheet or know where we can find a copy? THats some pretty amazing info if it exists.
Im putting an Extrude Honed Cobra intake on my otherwise stock engine. Currently Im running 239/305 to the rear wheels, so I'll dyno after Ive got the new one on.

chris

Visceral said:
Do you still have access to that sheet or know where we can find a copy? THats some pretty amazing info if it exists.
Im putting an Extrude Honed Cobra intake on my otherwise stock engine. Currently Im running 239/305 to the rear wheels, so I'll dyno after Ive got the new one on.

chris

I will look around and see if I can find the sheet.....odds are 50/50 on finding it.

Visceral said:

chris

I'd like to see your curent combo curves and then the EH dyno curve. I think your gonna loose on average torque over the 2,000-5,500 rpm range - we'll see.

tmoss said:
I'd like to see your curent combo curves and then the EH dyno curve. I think your gonna loose on average torque over the 2,000-5,500 rpm range - we'll see.

I dont doubt that its too big for my current setup... but I got a great deal on it, and I have *alot* of room to grow.

Besides, I shift down to about 4-4.5k rpm and up to 5400-5500 at the strip currently. If I make power within that, currently thats all that matters. The car has more than enough torque for these crappy wet streets.

Im going to add 1.7 rockers and some new valvesprings at the same time, so we'll see what happens.

chris

I would go with the TMOSS, probally will give the best overall gains and definatly the best price by far, save the money and get some gears. The aftermarket intakes are a must if you have head work, or aftermarket heads but don't really do much for a stock engine. The systmax I uses the stock upper, and probally doesn't do any better than the TMOSS.

The TFS Street intake has runners which are too large. It makes up for this with long runners but still looses velosity. Many people loose tq and get worse times due to this problem. The Cobra is a really good intake, the GT40 although overpriced is also good, and the explorer might not have the "fame" but flows like the Cobra and GT40. The Performer is nice, I have it and like it, lots of expandability.

My recomendations: Get the TMOSS and save towards other mods, like gears and heads, then upgrade after that. I am sure the TMOSS intake will sell for about what you paid for it, so no/little money lost, but lots of tq to gain.

I had the Cobra on mine and I liked it, wasn't exactly stock but it did have stock heads. I don't know too much about this TMOSS stuff but from what I've read on here it seems to be a good deal.

Visceral said:

chris
What have you done to put out that kind of power on a stock engine??

239/305

239/305 does seem an awful lot compared to the median 180-190 hp of a truly stock motored 5 liter. How do you figure these numbers, do you have a small shot of gas, maybe 50HP?