Keep the auto or swap to manual?

• Sponsors (?)

Manuals are more fun, you can take more pride in your times, cause more skill is involved. But if your pushen crazy horsepower then a built auto will result in better translation of power to the ground. just my .02
Ben

I don't race my car. It is strictly my daily driver with the exception of an occasional blast down the backroads. You couldn't ever persuade me to swap my AOD for a T-5. I like to drink a coke or smoke while driving. Of course I could just be getting old and lazy too :D .

I think you need to look at how much money it will take to get your AOD up to bulletproof status, along with a performance converter. I think a good converter will be more than a 1000 bucks, and you can get a T5 conversion for around that much.

Either or is going to require some cash, but for drag racing, the automatic is the way to go. If its a drag only,scrap the aod and get a built C4, if you still drive it on the street, have the aod beefed by one of the reputable builders. Contact a local mustang shop for recommendations. As far as the converter goes, call the manufacturer, they can steer you in the right direction depending on your mods and how you intend to drive the car.

You want to match the converter to your cam specs. The best thing to do is to talk with the converter companys for recommendations and then choose the one you like. Edge Racing, PI, TCI, GER, B&M etc. are just some of the companies.

You want a Precision industries torque converter! There a little pricey,but they are the "Best"! www.converter.com call them up tell them your mods and hp,,and they will tell you what stall speed will work the best.If your motor is mostly stock,youll need a 2400 stallion! If your gonna run 410's,get the 2800!! I have the 2800,with 373 gears,its a little loose.But Im getting 410's in a month,that should tighten in up a bit!! IMO,a worked auto is better for DR,,unless your a Mike Keirstead with a 5-speed!!( You really no how to power shift!) Try a converter and gears yuo will really like it.If your on a budget,I hear edge makes a good converter for half the price!