Kenne Bell VS Whipple

royb said:
That's one way to look at. I don't want to take the motor apart (yet) & put forged internals. Boost isn't always the indicator to look at to judge performace. You also have to consider adiabatic efficiency, mechnaical efficiency, & volumetric efficiency. If MM&FF would test each area it would better show the pro & con of each set up. I still have not seen a KB on any car from a tuner that will carry a warranty.

Having owned both a saleen and a KB blower, I can say I would give a warranty to the KB instead of saleen. They both look factory solid, but talking of efficiency, adiabatic or mechanical or whatever, the KB is fat superior. The saleen generates more heat, and takes more HP to drive. Saleen even installed 2 little fans on the intercooler for their eaton kit.

Remember these 2 kits are for stock engine, non-forged, so same installation. My current setup is all stock. I was more scared of the heat of my saleen blower at 7psi than the current KB at 9psi.

KB is designing blowers for mustang, saleen just adapt some magnusen blower for a mustang...

• Sponsors (?)

KB and procharger looks good.. i did get the last MM&FF and the 05 with kenny bell looks great. they said on the dyno test straight out that with KB AND 75 shot of NOS.. to get that 525hp.. they had it stock and no forged anything.. and they said it was purring without any issues.. 525.. is what I want!!! WOOOOOO
Now someone on this board needs to step up with tell the rest of us where to get a discount on the KB system =-)

00s281sc368 said:
Having owned both a saleen and a KB blower, I can say I would give a warranty to the KB instead of saleen. They both look factory solid, but talking of efficiency, adiabatic or mechanical or whatever, the KB is fat superior. The saleen generates more heat, and takes more HP to drive. Saleen even installed 2 little fans on the intercooler for their eaton kit.

Remember these 2 kits are for stock engine, non-forged, so same installation. My current setup is all stock. I was more scared of the heat of my saleen blower at 7psi than the current KB at 9psi.

KB is designing blowers for mustang, saleen just adapt somfor a mustang...

The Saleen Blower for the o5 GT is NOT a magnuson. They have there own design this year. Your talking about the old saleen technology check out the new stuff: http://www.saleen.com/supercharger.htm

you might be suprised.

if you like KB & want to save some $$ consider a Lysholm blower. they actually make the KB (to their specs).

http://www.opconab.com/index.asp?sPage=1&langID=1&cID=14

kpribble@terrib said:
Will ford honor your factory warrantee with this installed??
I am also very interested in the Saleen unit as I have a 2005 S281 but would like more power. I was hoing someone would get some dyno results on the Saleen before I purchased one. I love the new technology of fliping the blower upsidedown and getting the longer intake runners. Although this does give it that LS1 look

Heck no, not on the motor. If it goes I will put everything back to stock then take it to dealer and roll the dice. I'll have on a dyno in a couple weeks. I want to make sure I get what was advertised.

lostsoul said:
KB and procharger looks good.. i did get the last MM&FF and the 05 with kenny bell looks great. they said on the dyno test straight out that with KB AND 75 shot of NOS.. to get that 525hp.. they had it stock and no forged anything.. and they said it was purring without any issues.. 525.. is what I want!!! WOOOOOO
Now someone on this board needs to step up with tell the rest of us where to get a discount on the KB system =-)

Motors can hold up to some unbelievable power for a short time. Just today I saw a video of a turbo powered VW run a 10.3 second 1/4 with all stock pistons & crank, no cage, he got kicked off the track. (he ran it last sunday at the track in Ennius, TX) That kind of power will break something. Point being 525hp on a factory 4.6 block it won't last very long, that's why the cobra has forged internals.

lostsoul said:
would changing my gearing help with the "lag" of the vortech or procharger? 200 buck gears are cheaper the 2K+ for the whipple =-/ ... maybe I should lose some weight too =-)

It would help about .4 to .6 on 1/4 mile track. There is no way to compare the flat steady boost of a roots or screw supercharger to a centrifugal blower. You can compare a centrifugal and a turbo for power curve. for racing a turbo can produce more power and is much more efficient than any supercharger design. If you match you needs with the proper system you will be happy with your choice.

00s281sc368 said:

KB is designing blowers for mustang, saleen just adapt some magnusen blower for a mustang...

The shape of the intake "snorkel" between the throttle body and the supercharger rotors, has been flow bench calibrated for maximum air flow. Everything in this kit has been designed with expandability in mind, and constant flow without restrictions for maximum horsepower. In fact, this kit is so efficient, expect to generate up to a 50% HP increase at only 4-5 PSI of boost (competitive comparisons often require 10 + PSI to achieve similar numbers), this means less stress on your engine, and less heat.

This system also features an integrated internal bypass valve for low-speed running; when you are driving at low speeds and don't require boost, the bypass helps reduce heat buildup in the engine, and improves fuel economy.

This new design is extremely reliable and virtually maintenance free. Integrating the SC housing with the intake manifold, creates a single sealing surfaces which vastly reduces the possibility for vacuum leaks, common on competitive kits. It also utilizes a special lubricant that has an unheard of 50,000 mile service interval.

royb said:

The shape of the intake "snorkel" between the throttle body and the supercharger rotors, has been flow bench calibrated for maximum air flow. Everything in this kit has been designed with expandability in mind, and constant flow without restrictions for maximum horsepower. In fact, this kit is so efficient, expect to generate up to a 50% HP increase at only 4-5 PSI of boost (competitive comparisons often require 10 + PSI to achieve similar numbers), this means less stress on your engine, and less heat.

This system also features an integrated internal bypass valve for low-speed running; when you are driving at low speeds and don't require boost, the bypass helps reduce heat buildup in the engine, and improves fuel economy.

This new design is extremely reliable and virtually maintenance free. Integrating the SC housing with the intake manifold, creates a single sealing surfaces which vastly reduces the possibility for vacuum leaks, common on competitive kits. It also utilizes a special lubricant that has an unheard of 50,000 mile service interval.

Great saleen BS, they have nothing to be proud of agains competitive kits! I even would take an ATI over saleen blower anyday. I got a 100% HP increase with 9psi, tell saleen about that :rlaugh:
I feel safer with changing my KB oil every 12K miles with some redline 5/50 synthetic, than not changing the saleen oil ever...
Sorry but I love my saleen, but their blowers are just not that good. The numbers are there to confirm.

royb said:

It should be very interesting to see how this new design runs out and how mush of this is true!! The new intske looks very interesting indeed.
Is this a whipple style impeller design or does anyone know yet???

I took a look at the Lysholm and there is no info for something on the mustang?? haha.. anyone know if we can get the same thing as KB and whipple from autorotor or Lysholm? and how much cheaper? That will be totally cool if they have a kit for us.. but is it a kit or just the blower itself? And where is Crash??? anyway, thanks for the info guys.. hopefully in 2-3 months I can get an SC

lostsoul said:
I took a look at the Lysholm and there is no info for something on the mustang?? haha.. anyone know if we can get the same thing as KB and whipple from autorotor or Lysholm? and how much cheaper? That will be totally cool if they have a kit for us.. but is it a kit or just the blower itself? And where is Crash??? anyway, thanks for the info guys.. hopefully in 2-3 months I can get an SC

No, both Autorotor and Lysholm are manufacturers. They do not sell directly to consumers. KB and Whipple are the marketing/middlemen for each company.

lostsoul said:
Not to kick dirt in someones cake.. I just dont know about 5K for only 100hp gain.. vortechs non-intercooled is 420hp and only 3.5K .. I'm waiting to see what prochartger and kenny bell and offer. crash is the main contact.. where is he ='-(

well.. look at the torque curve between the centrifical supercharger and twin screw supercharger.. sure the centrifical will give you more power.. but it will for the most part, be at high rpm. The twin screw(Kenne Bell or Whipple) gives slightly less power, BUT the torque curve starts at what, 1200 rpm, compared to 4500 for the centrifical..

I'll sacrafice some of that high end hp, for an overall more powerful car..

if you want to see a Magazine compare them, look at the January issue of MM&FF, where they take the stock Eaton, Twin Screw, Centrifical and twin turbo and test them all on a stock 03 Cobra engine..

kpribble@terrib said:
Is this a whipple style impeller design or does anyone know yet???

The Whipple doesn't use an impeller, it is a twin screw, the other types are the Roots and the Centrifugal. I have a long article that explains the pros & cons of them all (I did post it a while back but due to the crash has gone), if any one would like to read it let me know and I will repost it.

IMO the Centrifugal is the most powerful and best for drag racing, although still inferior to a turbo, as it does the same thing but still needs the engine to drive it.

The Roots is cheap but has very poor efficency in every respect.

The twin screw will produce similar peak figures as a centrifugal (slightly lower) but over the entire rpm it will be more powerful, if your car is to be used on the road or a circuit then the twin screw is probably as good as you can get.

300bhp/ton said:
I have a long article that explains the pros & cons of them all (I did post it a while back but due to the crash has gone), if any one would like to read it let me know and I will repost it.

Do it.

Someone closed that thread before it was played out ;)