Kick panel speakers

Pics.

Using the original kick panels to do my initial cutting on, I figured out where the opening behind the kick panel was and cut a corresponding hole in the kick panels. Then I used those as a template and cut the same hole in the new kick panels.
kickpanelspeaker06.jpg

Obviously, the ridge in the middle prevents the speakers from laying flush against the kick panel so I had to cut that out where the speakers would go. I made sure to cut it small at first so I could always go bigger.
kickpanelspeaker07.jpg

Once I had the kick panels in place, I did a lot of test fitting and filing to get the edges of the ridge (where it meets up with the spacer) just right.
kickpanelspeaker08.jpg

The speaker in place. I just need to get some long sheet metal screws, drill screw holes in the kick panel and small pilot holes in the metal, run the wire, get some weather stripping to seal everything, and screw it all in.
kickpanelspeaker09.jpg

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. :D

Edbert said:
Try some black RTV from the backside, should hide easily.

:nice:
Yeah, that's probably what I'll do, but it was a PITA to get all the holes lined up and everything screwed in so I think I'll just wait until I redo the whole interior and have to take them out anyway.

-Chelle

Don't know if it will work in a 69, but I will say that I almost thought I'd have a problem with the medallions being too big around (they're 8" diameter). I had to really shove the speaker as far away from the door as I could so that the medallion wouldn't overhang the edge of the kick panel. When the speaker was centered in the hole, the medallion hung over about 1/2".

-Chelle