Kincked crank slightly while pulling out pilot bearing. Major Problem?

ryan7662

Sep 15, 2007
Hi, I had a pilot bearing come apart on me while I tried to use the slide hammer to remove it. Tried various chisels to try and pry it out but that thing wasn't budging after hours of trying:bang:. I then used a dremel(I know maybe a bad idea) and cut notches all around the outside shell of the bearing to relieve pressure on it. On one side I used a chainsaw sharpening stone to almost cut through the bearing.

I was extremely careful while doing this but still wound up slightly knicking the crank in one spot. I used a digital vernier caliper to measure it and it appears to be only 0.5mm deep by a little less then a quarter inch long. It's a very small knick couldn't have been much metal taken off. I had the rotating assembly balanced and am wondering if such a small knick on the crank where the pilot bearing goes is going to throw off the balance of my crank. Is this a problem thats going to cause a significant affect or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

• Sponsors (?)

I would not worry about it. The only thing that fits there is the cast iron shell of the pilot bearing. It does not have anything directly turning against it. Drive the new piolt bearing in place correctly, and it won't make any difference.

I've done 3 in the last few months, and only one bearing came out in one piece. Both other times the pilot had to be "coaxed" out, and the crank got scratched. Don't worry, just get the new pilot in straight.