king cobra clutch, and fakes on ebay???

p.exeter_bleu

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
El Paso,TX
ok i want to purchase a king cobra clutch but i have seen stuff on ebay that makes me skeptical, such as sellers claiming to beware of FAKE king cobra clutches! how can i spot a fake? of course i want to spend as little as possible so if anyone knows of a reputable dealer that has a great price on these kits that would be really awesome. ok now for the tech part, is a flywheel resurface needed? where can i get this done? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought a complete 5 pc kit from one of the top KC peddlers on EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8051267503&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

They have over 13K positive feedbacks so I feel pretty confident. Most of these big ebay stores rely on their reputation, so the threat of negative FB usually keeps them honest. Just use paypal in case you have any problems you can get your $$ back. I got this Hawks Racing billet flywheel for 76 bucks + shipping. I think a new one is the way to go when you figure machine shop cost to have your old one turned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8051497790&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

If you happen to buy the one from dynamicracingproducts on ebay, it won't look like the one from the picture (no blue springs), but it grips like an SOB. I would say go to your local parts store and get some good bearings for it Timken(sp?)/BCA etc just to save hassle down the road. The bearings that came with mine looked suspect so I got different ones. I got my clutch for 125 + 20 shipping. The upgraded bearings were $40. As stated above the pedal is stiff and all the grip comes at you quick. It takes some getting used to from a stocker but is a great upgrade.

brammabull69 said:
i bought one from summit is was 165 plus a 9.50 handling fee. was at my house in 3 days. and there was no tax. theres only tax if you live in the same state as one of there stores.

I was going to go summit until I did the math. Their kit at 165 does not include the pilot bearing or the alignment tool if I am not mistaken. This, combined with the summit $10 handling fee did not make it a better deal than the ebay one for 174 shipped.

302RollinHard said:
If you happen to buy the one from dynamicracingproducts on ebay, it won't look like the one from the picture (no blue springs), but it grips like an SOB. I would say go to your local parts store and get some good bearings for it Timken(sp?)/BCA etc just to save hassle down the road. The bearings that came with mine looked suspect so I got different ones. I got my clutch for 125 + 20 shipping. The upgraded bearings were $40. As stated above the pedal is stiff and all the grip comes at you quick. It takes some getting used to from a stocker but is a great upgrade.

Thanks for the advice on the bearings. I thought these KC clutches were supposed to have lighter pedal effort? Its not a big deal for me either way, anything will be better than my stock 99,xxx mile clutch that could barely launch a shopping cart right now. :rlaugh: