king cobra

jevol

Jan 27, 2009
i am in tn. there is a king cobra'78 i think in my neighbors yard. it has been sitting there for 15yrs. it was his sons,the son died 15yrs ago that is why the car is there. the father says he will never sell it. other than being dirty the car is perfect. the tires even have all the tread. it says 5.0 on the door,and has the spider on the hood. it is a 4sp. i want to ask the father again to sell it,what should i offer. also the dogs sit on top of it. it is just wasting away. oh yeah, it is black/black.orange decals.you can call 832-277-7067 or e-mail [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

1st off, why do you want the car? If it is to restore and drive it as well as continue to own it that may be a good enough reason to try to persude the owner that the memory of his son may be best served if the car was restored and driven rather than sit and rust and rot. This could however become a very emotional issue for him.

2nd If you truely want this car because it is a Mustang II and in this case a King Cobra, take a little time to learn something about the car. Restoring a Mustang II and especially a King Cobra can become very costly and require some long nights searching the web for parts. Not a project for the beginner. You say it is other than being dirty the car is perfect but has been sitting for 15 years? Perfect? I think not, I would imagine that after this long there is quite a bit of work to be done to get it running properly. All rubber including the tires (with tread) will probably have to be replaced, fuel system removed and cleaned, engine torn down and rebuilt. The interior if the car is sitting outside will have become brittle and faded and depending on what state you are in rust has probably attacked the car and began eating it from the inside out if it's not visible from a glance in the yard next door, a closer inspection should reveal this. Again this will not be a simple restore by any means unless the car has been garaged, started and driven occasionally for the last 15 years.

3rd If this is truely a 78 King Cobra your lack of knowledge of this car is very evident in the fact that you referred to the hood decal as a Spider. That decal my friend is of a KING COBRA. and was only produced for the one year 78 model year.

4th If you do get this car stay true to whatever promise you do make to your neighbor, again this is obviously a very important and emotional part of his past and you are his neighbor.

1978_Mustang_king_cobra.jpg

Hey Jevol, I think you are the same person that e-mailed me privately from E-Bay. I could not agree more with the above post. If you are going to offer your neighbor something, make sure you keep them in the loop if they let you have it. It obviously has sentimental value to them and they may enjoy seeing this car "come to life".

It wouldnt hurt to ask BUT make sure you do it tactfully..

Good luck!

I am going to agree with Vegas Stang. My Dad has a fully restored 1978 King Cobra that is black, and the parts on those are very hard to find indeed. I am willing to bet that your neighbor might not actually sell you the car because of the sentimental value. Again to get this car looking the way it should it will definately be quite a challenge. It will definately be worth it though, I think we all can agree on that. You hardly ever see a King Cobra. Just my thoughts. Also do a little more research on the car, you should be a little more educated on it. If you do buy it, for the love of God do not butcher it, for the sake of your neighbor. Good Luck :nice:

Vegas is right i own one and the parts are few and far between exterior wise,As for sale tell your neighbor you will keep him informed on the progress I'm sure his son would want it that way.as for selling i would give him the first chance at it after its restored but i;ll tell you what once its done.your gonna enjoy driving it and getting all those thumbs up from ppl good luck.Another thing if your neighbor has a computer send here or to the other mustang II site.That should give him some insight thanks ... Greg