Knock Knock... Who's There? Rod Bearing!

MidniteGT

Dec 19, 2016
Hey everyone, this is my first post with you guys (sadly not a good one); I recently got back to the states after a 3 year tour. My father stored my car while I was gone. He let it run at least once a month. Well, I I have had it back for about two months now, and this morning it started knocking... And it is knocking hard. I replaced the spark plugs right when I got back, but I know I used the correct plug. It sounds like it is coming from the block, so I am thinking it is a rod bearing. The only weird thing about it, is when it started... I thought it was my transmission because I was in second gear when it started and right when I shifted in 3rd it went away and didn't knock until the next time I started it up.

Anyways, I haven't taken it anywhere yet because I am new to area (only been here for 3 months) and don't know any reliable shops yet. As of right now, I am going worst possible situation. And I either suck at googling crate motors and rebuild kits... but they don't seem right, and all the searches I have found on rebuilds doesn't fit what my situation is. Also, as of just moving back to the states, buying my wife a brand new sequoia so I am low on money. I believe I can do $5000 and if it had to go higher maybe $7000-$7500, but really trying to stay at $5000. Before I got back to the states I was planning on doing a rebuild towards an s/c build and wanting 500-550hp. If you guys can help me that would be great. Also, I don't know if this matters much, but as for crates I have a T-56 Magnum, and I don't know if the whole bell-housing thing would matter with crates.

Here is a sound clip of it... Sorry it is short but made it for my dad and wouldn't of been able to send it to him if it got to big in size.
View: https://youtu.be/KcHfKeOQhMo

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is making the same noise, it doesnt seem to favor left or right bank but seems to be front center of the engine. I havent nailed it down yet but most of what i am finding is it may be a timing tensioner, bad cam follower or bad lash adjuster. These are cheap things to check out.

Thanks for the advice guys... Sorry that the quality of the video was bad. A couple of the guys I work with said it sounds like a rod bearing, but they also said what you guys have pretty much said and to either start diagnosing it myself or take it to a shop. I will check the spark plugs and make sure they are fine. If they are, I am just going to take it to a shop as I just don't have the time to not have a second car up and running. I'll keep you guys updated.

If it is a worst case scenario, what do you guys recommend doing?