Knock sensor

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
Is it possible to add a knock sensor into my 2001 Mustang GT Convertible? I want to add the predator tune which does require 91 octane but I just wanted to prepare for the worst case scenario such as someone in my family taking out the car and fills up the tank with 87 octane, or an even more bizarre scenario such as the gas station filling up their storage tanks with the wrong octane.

• Sponsors (?)

I've wanted to do this to mine for a long time.. I dont see why you couldnt slap one from a cobra on. Rig up a voltage senstive light in the cabin somewhere....

It'd make a nice compliment for an A/F gauge. Plus it's hard to hearing pinging over an O/R pipe & 2 chambers.

Seraphitia102 said:
Is it possible to add a knock sensor into my 2001 Mustang GT Convertible? I want to add the predator tune which does require 91 octane but I just wanted to prepare for the worst case scenario such as someone in my family taking out the car and fills up the tank with 87 octane, or an even more bizarre scenario such as the gas station filling up their storage tanks with the wrong octane.

I have been using MSD knock alert for sometime on my 02 GT. Visual and sound alert. Light gose from light green to red depending on the amount of knock.

Can adjust sensitivity..

Knock Alert

Thanks for the information and link :)

Do you know if this device will also compensate for lower octane?

For example, a Lexus vehicle that requires the use of 91 octane has a knock sensor in it so that just incase 87 octane has been put in, the knock sensor and engine compensates for it to protect the engine from horrible damage, but at the loss of power from the vehicle.

Seraphitia102 said:
Thanks for the information and link :)

Do you know if this device will also compensate for lower octane?

For example, a Lexus vehicle that requires the use of 91 octane has a knock sensor in it so that just incase 87 octane has been put in, the knock sensor and engine compensates for it to protect the engine from horrible damage, but at the loss of power from the vehicle.
A knock sensor senses knock, not octane.

ForPointSex said:
A cobra's ECU uses pins 57, 32, 102, 23 for the knock sensors. If there's no wires you would have to run them yourself. You have to ask the guys at SCT if they can make a custom program for you that pulls timing when knocks are detected. Here's a wiring diagram for the knock sensors for a 2001 cobra. http://www.geocities.com/joop1987/knock.jpg
I've been looking for that diagram, thanks.

There is a parameter in the EEC for "Knock sensors present" mine stock is turned off, I believe turning it on would be enough to make them work.