Knock when accelerating, especially up hills.

gmssage

Mar 9, 2004
My 1997 Mustang has a noticeable, but not overly loud knock when accelerating, especially when going up hills. It is not quite so loud when on a flat road.

I just changed the spark plugs, thinking that it would be due to spark knock, but I didn't change the wires. After having the plug changed, the sound still continued.

I also tried running a higher octane gas (went from 87 to 93), but that made no change.

Any help in diagnosing and fixing this would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

This is one of those things that's nearly impossible to diagnose thru the 'net. Could be anything from an alternator bearing to a main bearing.

How many miles?

Oil change intervals?

Spark knock & bottom-end knock sound nothing alike, so if you can't distinguish between the two maybe you have a bud that's into cars & will go for a ride w/you to help nail this one down.....?

63,500 miles, with oil changes every 3,000 miles using Pennzoil 5W-30.

It's more of a higher pitched, extremely rapid knocking sound, and it doesn't happen at all while in park/neutral.

Yes, it's an automatic.

No, it's not one loud knock. It sounds like a lot of semi-quiet little knocks, rather rapid, probably about 7-10 little knocks a second while accelerating.

I know on my v6, after 50,000 miles, the trans like to make all funny little knocks, every think you might be hearing something from the trans downshifting?