Knocking noise after front shock repacement.

kefta4ever

Jul 29, 2018
La Mesa, CA
Hello, I just changed the front and rear shocks on my 65 Mustang. The passenger side now makes a knocking sound when I go over rough road. Im pretty sure I tightened everything down properly. If I push up and down on the front hard I can hear it. Pushing and looking at the top everything seems fine. I did drop a bolt down the shock/ spring area. We didn't find It under the car. Ive searched as well as I can for it with my fingers and magnet. Is that it? If so, where the heck did it go, its not like theres a lot of places to hide, can it be caught in the spring? It was a decent size bolt.

Just wondering if any of you have some insight.

Thanks, Kefta
WP_20180730_14_58_07_Pro.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If you can hear it while bouncing the car in park, grab a strong friend and have them bounce the car while you search underneath for the noise, even if it's not coming from the shock itself, there's a dozen other things it could be.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Ill change the top and lower ball joints and see what happens. Its really my sons, hes gonna do the actual work. BTW I always see people use the spring compressors that go in the middle of the spring. I have 2 good spring compressors that go on the outside. Do they not work?