Suspension Lakewood 90/10 front coilovers vs struts

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
My car has Lakewood coilovers up front. Would swapping them out with some Bilstein struts or even some OEM struts have any improvement in the ride quality? I think the Lakewoods were initially put on by the last owner since the car was set up for mostly drag racing, but now it's more of a street car.

• Sponsors (?)

I think my "main" issue is the skinnies up front. I don't like how they feel when cornering. I'm replacing them this week with a pair of 15x7 ProStars/225/60/15s.
I read on the LMR website that sells the Lakewoods, that they are for "track use only". Factor that comment and the "twang" sound/feeling I sometimes get when backing out of the driveway or starting out slowly. I think this sound/feeling might be the coil overs making the sound. I just really want to know if swapping the Lakewood with just an OEM strut/spring assembly or even some KYBS or Bilsteins would provide any benefit?

A common complant of some coil-over kits is the odd noises them make. The twang is usually when the spring unseats due to the suspension extending, and then when the weight returns the spring sometimes hangs up on a collar and then twangs into place once full weight is on the spring.

90/10's are a drag shock in general. They are designed to easily extend and then slowing compress.

With a drag type suspension, you will experience some draw backs on the street. So if you want a better ride, a better quality street strut may offer a better ride.

Some coil overs do ride quite well. I have max motorsports coil overs on Bilstien struts and my car rides VERY good up front and doesn't make any noises. Coil-overs, with a good strut, do provide some ride benefits due to reducing the friction of a standard spring and putting the spring directly on the strut. But to accomplish this, the spring length, rate and strut all need to be matched up.

Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic of my front suspension. Here's a screenshot of what I have installed. Can you recommend an OEM-ish spring/strut that will work with my current aftermarket suspension? Thanks
Screenshot_20190327-175803.png
!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190522-172229.png
    Screenshot_20190522-172229.png
    2 MB · Views: 176
Unfortunately you will not be able to run OEM type springs on that suspension due to the tubular lower control arms lacking spring perches. You'll need to stick with coil overs, or swap to stock style arms, which may not be possible with that particular k-member.

Do you know which brand coil over is on the strut? I do not believe Lakewood makes coil overs.

No, I'm not sure what they are. So another coilovers that isn't a "drag type" would be an improvement then? Any specific one you can recommend? Thanks again.

What I run

I run them with Bilstien struts. I'd contact MM for recommendations as to which spring rate and which shock valving to go with based on your needs as well as a good conventional spring setup for the rear to match up with. These things can get pretty custom so what works for me may not be what you are looking for.

Figure out the coil over kit you have.
Lose the 90/10's and get a street spring, probably like a 250# or so.
If you are worried about noise, get a complete MM setup like mike listed.

I don't think coil overs in general are "drag type", it's how they are setup with springs and shocks.
The same coil overs could probably be setup for road racing.
There is a difference in quality between the cheap brands and the expensive ones though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users