lakewood drag struts

nitetrain

Jul 17, 2009
hello im new to this, any how i have a 2000 gt and put new drag springs front and back with 50/50 lakewood shocks in back and 70/30 up front. heres my problem the struts will not tighten down or ishould say they tighten all the way down and are still loose. they are the right ones for the car, has any one had the same problem if so whats the fix ? thanks for any help..:

• Sponsors (?)

yes, i got them new all that was in the box was a nut for the top of the strut. what kind of spacer ? like a washer that goes on top of the org. big washer that covers the rubber bushing, or does it go some where else on the strut. thanks for answering..

Weird,mine came with spacer/sleeves.
I can't seem to find picks of the sleeves,but i found instructions for the early fox years online(can't find the sn95 one),and it states on line #2 of the install about the sleeves.They slide over the strut before the mounting nut is attached,and secured.This would take up any slack so the nut can be tightened fully.They are roughly a 1/2 inch in height.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/600/620/620-40511.pdf

Did the boxes look openned?
Mine came with one spacer/sleeve each with the nuts,stickers,and instructions in a plastic package stappled shut.

no, they were not taped shut. mine had the stapled plastic bag but only had the top nut nothing else not even a sticker.. seems like the treads at the top are not enough, unlike the stock ones about a 1/2 inch longer than the lakewoods. if the lakewoods had the same treads it would not be a problem. i had a problem with the back 50/50 because they are made for a fox body called lakewood and they had no fix for it but they will sell you the shocks and tell you they will work if you dont mind how sloppy the top fits becuse of the hole size. so i made my own bushing that centered the shock so it would not move, but i dont think i should have to make anything for the 70/30 strut becuse its supposed to be a direct replcement. thanks for your time.

Would anyone happen to have pictures of the top of the lakewood 70/30 struts on their car 99-04. that way i could see how much or many treads are above the top nut? that way i can see if im missing a spacer or whats going on. thanks

Here is a pic of the spacer,circled in red on the driverside with red arrow.I have two per side because my M&M c&c plates come with them aswell to get the struts at proper height for being lowered,but anyways,that is what should have come with your struts.One for each side. ;)
spacers.jpg