Lakewood Scatter sheild and starter issues

86T-Top

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Dublin, PA
I am helping my friend drop a 351W into his 69 mustang, and we are having issues with bolting up the starter. The car has a lakewood scatter sheild and we are running a flywheel for a 11 inch clutch. He bought a new starter from the store for a 69 mustang with a 351W engine, however when I tried to bolt it up, I can only get one bolt hole to line up at a time. The starter that he got has threads in the upper bolt hole area. I was thinking about drilling the threads out to see if I can get more play to line the starter up, since there are threads in the bellhousing to mount the starter. Anyone have any ideas, on what is going on. Do i need to use a different starter? Originally, the car had a 302, with the same scatter shield and flywheel, but a different starter.

Also which side is the the top starter bolt threaded in from, the tranny side or motor side.

Thanks,

Mario

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what's going on but the threaded starter hole is probably supposed to be bolted up from the other side. I'm sure Lakewood could tell you if you give them a call. I wouldn't try to drill out the holes or you will have to use a nut to try to hold the starter in place and it will most likely still move stripping your flywheel or starter.

There are different nose cones for the Ford starters. On my race 289 with the 11" aluminum flywheel, I got lucky with my first parts store rebuilder. When I went to get another one, I went thru all their boxes and couldn't find one that was clocked right. I ended up swapping nose cones with my core and took that nose cone to a starter/alternator rebuild shop to have a new brass sleeve pressed in the end of the nose. You may need to look for a different starter. Might try the old starter?

1320stang said:
There are different nose cones for the Ford starters. On my race 289 with the 11" aluminum flywheel, I got lucky with my first parts store rebuilder. When I went to get another one, I went thru all their boxes and couldn't find one that was clocked right. I ended up swapping nose cones with my core and took that nose cone to a starter/alternator rebuild shop to have a new brass sleeve pressed in the end of the nose. You may need to look for a different starter. Might try the old starter?

This was what I was affriad of. The new starter doesn't seem to sit down properly into the scatter sheild. I would like to use the old starter, but he returned it for the core charge. :bang:

Maybe the starter from my 289 will be right, I have it sitting in my garage.

Mario

I called the Lakewood "Tech line" and they were about as useful as tits on a bull. They told me I had the wrong starter, which I already knew. When I asked them what starter I needed they couldn't tell me, instead they recommended that I go to my parts store and ask for a starter that will work with their product. Now if the manufacturer can't tell me what type of starter will work with their product, then how can a parts store tell me what to use. Better yet who sells a product and doesn't know what will fit it.

Looks like it is going to be hit or miss.

They also couldn't tell me if the Ford mini starter will work.

Mario

86T-Top said:
I called the Lakewood "Tech line" and they were about as useful as tits on a bull. They told me I had the wrong starter, which I already knew. When I asked them what starter I needed they couldn't tell me, instead they recommended that I go to my parts store and ask for a starter that will work with their product. Now if the manufacturer can't tell me what type of starter will work with their product, then how can a parts store tell me what to use. Better yet who sells a product and doesn't know what will fit it.

Looks like it is going to be hit or miss.

They also couldn't tell me if the Ford mini starter will work.

Mario

When I switched from an automatic to the toploader with my 351w I had to purchase a different starter because the automatic one would not bolt up. I simply went to the parts store and bought one for a 351w with a stock 11" bellhousing/4 speed. Recently I upgraded to a Lakewood (#15200) bellhousing and the same starter fits it perfectly. No issues at all.

Another thought, did you remove the moon shaped cutout at the starter hole? It should not be in place when using an 11" clutch. Once removed, the correct starter would use the 2 outermost bolt holes.

My starter's mounting flange is not threaded in either hole. Both of my bolts thread through from the starter side.

I can't tell you about the mini starter, because I used the stock Ford starter with my Lakewood.

If you have a Summit catalog (or go to there website), they have a mini starter for 4 speed manual trannys.

Well I got the problem solved last night. I swaped out the nose cone on the new starter with one from my old 289 starter that I had laying around in the garage. Although both cones looked identical there was one small difference that just wouldn't let the new one line up.

Mario