Lash Adjustment between the Rack and Pinion?

Rickyll7

Dec 16, 2005
Is there a way to adgust the lash between the rack and pinion? I think that might be why my steering has a few degrees of slop in it.

I've replaced the rack and pinion and the inner and outer tie rods and still have a little movement.

When I have someone move the wheel back and fourth through the loose part, I can look down and see the steering shaft moving with zero slop in the rag joint, which looks brand new. I can see the shaft moving the pinion and no movement coming out from the rack. The inner and outer tie rods remain motionless. the rack is also firmly mounted to the K-member.

The rack-to-pinion lash is all I can think of.

Any one know how to adjust it?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The power steering rack is not normally serviced by shade tree mechanics, because we would typically buy a new one and give the old one to the parts store to be remanufactured.
What brand did you buy? Seems like the local parts stores sell some very poor quality parts at time, so going with a motorcraft or OEM ford part may completely solve your problem.

I tried tightening up the lash adjustment with no luck. The lash is adjusted with a nut any jam nut assembly just forward of where the steering shaft is connected, just in case any of you were wondering.

Is there a way to adgust the lash between the rack and pinion? I think that might be why my steering has a few degrees of slop in it.

I've replaced the rack and pinion and the inner and outer tie rods and still have a little movement.

When I have someone move the wheel back and fourth through the loose part, I can look down and see the steering shaft moving with zero slop in the rag joint, which looks brand new. I can see the shaft moving the pinion and no movement coming out from the rack. The inner and outer tie rods remain motionless. the rack is also firmly mounted to the K-member.

The rack-to-pinion lash is all I can think of.

Any one know how to adjust it?
Hey bro I'm having this same issue