Fox Late 90s Explorer 5.0 In 1988 Mustang

RedGT88

Jan 7, 2014
I'm rebuilding a 5.0 to put in my 88 GT. I wanted to get late 90s Explorer motor because of the heads and intake but I'm not sure if it will bolt up like the stock motor. Will I have to change out the computer and can my air pump bolt back into place? Does anyone know of any other obstacles as far installation goes?

• Sponsors (?)

a push rod 5.0 is a push rod 5.0. they are all basically the same from 1965 when they switched over to the 6 bolt bell housing until they ended production in the 90s. there are detail changes over the years that you have to deal with, but most of the kit that you have for your mustang will do just fine on the explorer engine.

You should use the "search" function. People have been doing these swaps for years and there's probably 100's of threads that completely cover this topic. Do a little searching, you'll find your answers.

Thanks everyone for your input. That is good advice but I tried searching but haven't been able really to find the information I'm looking for, I'll keep looking but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Who ever has done this before can you please tell me: if I can bolt the air pump back in place, if the factory computer will still work and what parts do I need off factory motor (other then the timing cover and distributor)?