Late-model 5.0 into 1972 Mach 1?

Stanger007

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2001
Baton Rouge, LA
Hey, my 1990 convertible just got totaled by insurance, but I am able to buy it back from them for about $500. The engine is in great condition and has about 103,000 miles on it. Would it be worth it to try and rebuild/swap this engine into my 1972 Mach 1 with the fuel injection etc? The AOD from the '90 has about 10k since the rebuild.

Anyone done this before or have links websites about it? How hard is routing all the wires/sensors etc?

• Sponsors (?)

Droping that 5.0 engine into your 72 won't be any problem. I personally don't have EFI but I put an 86 351w in my 73 a few years back. Ford didn't change the mounting points for the 302/351 windsors and our year mustangs are made for them. The AOD will require a special crossmember and a shorter driveshaft to install but other than that it won't be a problem to install. There are companies out there that make swap kits. I think Windsor Fox is one of them.

Good Luck

Thanks for the links. Anyone with personal experience doing this care to chime in?

Since my Mach 1 engine only has 150mi on it since the rebuild, I may look for another mustang to buy to drop this engine into. We'll see what happens.

You know you could just use the parts from the 5.0 motor to make your 302 EFI. I mean all you would need to do is put on the intake, install the computer and harness and get a O2 sensor installed in your headers or use the 5.0's exhaust manafolds. The AOD will also bolt right up to your 302.