Launching Techniques....

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Whats up guys? I just did a little search on launching techniques and it seems that riding the clutch is the best way to do it. I usually launch at 2k or so but feather the gas pedal if the tires spin.

Wouldn't riding the clutch cause premature burning on the clutch disc and stuff? I dont want to burn out my new stage 1.

Either way, can someone explain this technique to me.....do u keep the clutch partially engaged or something?

THANKS GUYS

• Sponsors (?)

any help with this one guys? I know someone can help seeing as i know some of you do this technique yourself....

I raced a 00 GT this past weekend. I gotta figure out how to launch harder/faster. I havent really tested my new Yoko's yet. I tried to ease it out at about 1200 rpm to get it rollin then put it to the floor. Got great traction but the 00 gt put a car length on me instantly.....

the key to launching unfortunatly is practice... Everybody's setup is different. And what works for one guy or car may not work for the next.

Personally i never liked the idea of slipping the clutch much..

Have you tryed warming your tires up and seeing if that helps (some tires like it others don't), or letting out a little air pressure...

If you do finally hook up your looking for a happy medium between a slight bog and spinning... Which again practice helps out there.

The idea behind slipping the clutch is to keep the revs up in the power band and put as much power to the tires with out them spinning. It is easier to modulate a slipping clutch than it is tires. Once tires start to spin, then they have to stop spinning, less power, to get grip again, which takes time and slows you down. It is faster to slip the clutch to get as much power to the tires till they start to spin. Yes it is very hard on clutches and will wear & glaze the clutch. It takes practice to get it right & each car is different.

nmcgrawj said:
any word on ideal tire pressure on the street tires?
Not Yoko's but when I had BFG Comp TA ZR's (275/50/16) I'd ride around the streets w/them at 35psi then air them down to 29 or 30 psi. I found that the right one (uh, passenger side) like 2 less pounds than the drivers side. It takes a while to find a good balance between you, the track, the tires, the weather and whatever other variables you can throw in there. Find a reasonable priced event (like street race night) and go as often as you can. Practice, practice, practice.......you'll get it.

At the drags i bring it up to 4500/4800 and just ride the clutch out...that way she's right in the powerband...anything less for me and it bogs outta the hole...it can be hard on the clutch, but if done correctly its not killer...and ya, practice to see what works for ya....i find bringing the revs up works way better for me...try like 3500 to start...nothing worse than bogging outta the hole... :( and trying to play catch-up.. :bang:

ok...i guess it also helps for it to be a little warmer since these are summer tires. It still gets a lil nippy at night up here in Michigan....

I was thinking about the street race night at the drags...i will def. be there.

thanks guys...keep the advice rollin!

nmcgrawj said:
ok...i guess it also helps for it to be a little warmer since these are summer tires. It still gets a lil nippy at night up here in Michigan....

I was thinking about the street race night at the drags...i will def. be there.

thanks guys...keep the advice rollin!
I couldn't wait myself. i got a pair of 6 cyl rims and some 275/60 BFG Drag radials, now I just dump it at 4000 and concentrate on my shifts.

I have found that if I rev the engine to 3000 rpm and dump the clutch so that the tires break loose. Then I just hold the gas there till the tires catch. I don't let off the gas or give it more gas. Once the tires catch i floor it and it doesnt break loose again. I turn 2.06 60' times on 245/45/17 street tires.

tistan2 i will have to try that. How hard do they break loose? I think this might be the best way cause i dont wanna burn the clutch up trying to slip that....

i dont know anything about 60 ft times so a 2.06 is pretty respectable for street tires?

my car with afr 165s/E-cam/Cobra intake on BFG Drag Radial... after 10 second burnout... I go to the line... once the list start dropping i put the pedal to the wood and drop the clutch.. so i'm dropping it between 5-6k and hookin like a mofo with no tire spin... Lets just say the first 60 feet is a blast!

i call it the 35 flash :) rev it up to 2500 then when you launch feather it or dump it to 3500 and keep it there as the car acclerates and the tires spin a little, when it hooks floor it... it pulled 2.0 60's on 245 17in street tires like this.