Leaded fuel

suarezlorenzo

Apr 4, 2019
Geneva
Hi all. I’m moving to Cuba as a diplomat and I was told that fuel is leaded there. There are no unleaded options. I’m planning on buying a new Jeep Wrangler and was wondering what the effect of lead would be on the unleaded engine. I understand the carb might suffer so is it possible to just remove it and ride without it? There are no pollution controls there so that’s not a problem as long as the car can work. No clue about other effects. Thanks for any good advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all. I’m moving to Cuba as a diplomat and I was told that fuel is leaded there. There are no unleaded options. I’m planning on buying a new Jeep Wrangler and was wondering what the effect of lead would be on the unleaded engine. I understand the carb might suffer so is it possible to just remove it and ride without it? There are no pollution controls there so that’s not a problem as long as the car can work. No clue about other effects. Thanks for any good advice.
Jeep Wranglers haven't been carbureted since the 1980s.

The problem with trying to run a Wrangler, and pretty much any other modern car, on leaded gasoline is that it is simply not designed for it. The oxygen sensors (sometimes called lambda sensors) and catalytic converters will fail when exposed to tetraethyl lead from leaded fuels.

To run correctly on leaded gasoline, you'll need to find a vehicle built before catalytic converters (approximately 1974 for most countries). It's just not going to happen with a fuel injected engine.