Leaking Interior

Nightstang00

Mar 20, 2017
need some help here, I'm redoing the interior of my 93 gt. Replaced the door and hatch weather stripping and carpet. I also had to get some rust removed and used por 15 on the floor pan. After doing all this, we have had some heavy rain and I checked for leaks after. I noticed some water drops on the floor where the door is, near the seat. I guess it's the door pillar? I then pulled the carpet back and used dynomat on the floor pans, and it seemed there was moisture there. No actual water. Then I looked at that weather stripping and saw in the middle of it, in the "channel " there was water in it. It was just there, the bottom of the door. I could use some advice on where to start. The last thing I need is it to ruin the new interior.

• Sponsors (?)

Probably need to sit in the car and let a helper run the hose over everything you replaced as well as all the channels. Back hatch is my guess because most of the water ends up back there. Hope you didn't get any POR-15 on you from past experience takes a week for it work it's way off your skin.

What @foxbobby said. I don't the think it's from the hatch though.

Do get some one to help you. Sit inside the car while they run water over the top of door area and see if you can see where it leaks.

If it isn't an apparent leak from that, just inspect the whole door opening area immediately after the water test and back track to where it's leaking. It will be a fairly easy to locate thing, I would think.

Could be your door is slightly out of adjustment, or possibly your window in your door is.

Find the leak location first, it shouldn't be too hard to fix after that.

This said, you don't have a sunroof, do you?

What @foxbobby said. I don't the think it's from the hatch though.

Do get some one to help you. Sit inside the car while they run water over the top of door area and see if you can see where it leaks.

If it isn't an apparent leak from that, just inspect the whole door opening area immediately after the water test and back track to where it's leaking. It will be a fairly easy to locate thing, I would think.

Could be your door is slightly out of adjustment, or possibly your window in your door is.

Find the leak location first, it shouldn't be too hard to fix after that.

This said, you don't have a sunroof, do you?
yeah I have a sun roof. Replaced both weather stripping for that also

Some more rain today, not as much a previous days. I pulled the carpet in the front, the top of the carpet isn't damp, the bottom is though. I noticed on the black weather stripping, some water when I opened the door. Not drops but it just darkened the weather stripping. It was on the door jam side around the curve of the door at the bottom. The metal wasn't wet where the scuff plate is when I removed it, neither was the carpet. It's just very odd that the top of the carpet wasn't wet and the bottom was. Haven't driven the car in a week either. Just been sitting. Tried to feel around to see what else could be damp but nothing except the floor board. Kinda where the carpet has the rubber foot protector that's build into the carpet. It almost looks like condensation is building up there.

Could be from a lot of locations. You'll probably want to pull up your carpet to see where it comes from while you have someone else hosing the exterior. I know it's sounds obvious, but the water is coming from somewhere.

When it leaks down from the top it'll go behind the inner panels and make your carpet wet from underneath. About the only clue off the top of my head.

You'll just have to do a little research on the car itself.

Don't remember on foxbody's but a lot of sunroofs have drains in them that get clogged from debris. Air hose the lines to clean them out. Look for staining in the headliner. Sounds like your getting close.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's a factory sunroof, then there is a drain tube that could be an issue. That could be the cause of your leak and your rusting floor pan.

Reactions: 1 user
I removed the headliner because it was sagging. The interior of the car wasn't taken care of. I'm going to check those drains , maybe it leaking from near the floor pan , which is why I can't see any drops on the carpets.

Pull off the grill covering the opening in front of the windshield and use a light to inspect the inside, you could also spray some water in there to check for leaks, pull your kick panel out too, that may help locate the problem

So I took out the sun roof and checked the plastic yellow things the tabs of the glass goes in. One was slightly leaking. Fixed that. Then I went around the door. Seems both sides door belt weather stripping is leaking. The water was getting in where the mirror is, toward the beginning of it and all along the rest of the door. It's going through the door into the car. I order a set of them for both sides. They don't look bad though, hopefully this will fix my issues. In the mean time I adjusted both doors to shut correctly. At least I made some progress.

Reactions: 1 users
So I took out the sun roof and checked the plastic yellow things the tabs of the glass goes in. One was slightly leaking. Fixed that. Then I went around the door. Seems both sides door belt weather stripping is leaking. The water was getting in where the mirror is, toward the beginning of it and all along the rest of the door. It's going through the door into the car. I order a set of them for both sides. They don't look bad though, hopefully this will fix my issues. In the mean time I adjusted both doors to shut correctly. At least I made some progress.

what did you do to fix the yellow tabs where the sunroof is leaking? both of the yellow tabs on mine are leaking currently, I need to fix those. also, I have water coming on near the side mirrors as well. mine was a funny fix though. the upper door hinge was bent out of whack, I'm guessing a gust of wind or something m and itnwas bent outward slightly. just enough to cause a void and a little bit of daylight was shining through. I had to replace that hinge, and then the door shut much better and closed that up. but now I have tknrix that damn sunroof. I also noticed that the sunroof bolts were leaking as well.

what did you do to fix the yellow tabs where the sunroof is leaking? both of the yellow tabs on mine are leaking currently, I need to fix those. also, I have water coming on near the side mirrors as well. mine was a funny fix though. the upper door hinge was bent out of whack, I'm guessing a gust of wind or something m and itnwas bent outward slightly. just enough to cause a void and a little bit of daylight was shining through. I had to replace that hinge, and then the door shut much better and closed that up. but now I have tknrix that damn sunroof. I also noticed that the sunroof bolts were leaking as well.
I removed the yellow tabs, cleaned the area from the top and from inside the car. ( had the headliner out) then put a bead of weather proof clear rtv, all around the tab. Then I took some tape and taped the sunroof drains closed, filled water in the trench where the sun roof sits and checked for any water coming from anywhere. I sealed some more around the tabs. That fixed my issue!

Reactions: 1 users