Leaking oil and not sure where.

Steedaq

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 16, 2003
Hi all,
I've got 138K miles on my '99 stang. I have an oil leak coming from the front of the car. It's only a drop every couple of days but has been going on for some time. The worst part is that I can't find where the leak is. It's not from the pan or filter and seems more toward the center of the car. The bottom-front of the transmission seems a little damp (where tranny bolts to engine). Anybody have any ideas where this leak is originating or what could have caused it? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, putting a piece of cardboard under the car is a great idea. I'll do that tommorrow morning. I'm also gonna check my tranny oil. Any other suggestions?

i had an oil leak from a loose fitting in the front of the car near the steering rack. I noticed oil running down a hose while I was under there changing the oil out.

Not sure what it was but i just tightened the fitting to fix it. It was already super tight and i had to use some force, but i heard it snap and go about another 1/8th of a turn and the leak stopped.

If you can't find it, run your hands along the the hoses and stuff close to the fittings and see if you can find the leak and tighten up all the fittings.