leaky gas tank

Bonestock2k

Jun 18, 2004
My daughters 95 Mustang has developed a leak where the fill pipe attaches to the gas tank. It appears there is a gasket there and is likely the culprit. Has anyone had this problem and if so what is the fix?

• Sponsors (?)

Its an easy fix. Go buy the grommet at a Ford Dealership, there about 20-30 bucks. Drop the tank. And remove the tube that goes into the tank. And replace it and bolt up the tank back up. Dont forget to unscrew the tube were you put gas in. Took me 30 minutes and I was just taking my time. Messing around with my friends at the same time

Wow Guero, that was a nice little synopsis. :nice:

I like to coat the grommet with motor oil to try to keep it from tearing upon sending the filler pipe back through the new grommet.

If your daughter might be needing a new fuel pump, now would be a good time to go ahead and swap it out.

Good luck.

It should be [on the dealer shelf].

I swapped a leaky grommet on a '98 GT and had the owner source the new grommet from the local dealer. He paid $21 for it.

Good luck.

EDIT: Speedy beat me.

Bonestock2k said:
Dealer didn't have one - will overnight one from Portland - I'm in the Seattle area about 180 miles away. Has Ford issued a recall on this problem?
That's crazy that a dealer in the Seattle area didn't have the grommet.

It's really just an age problem with the grommets wearing out - not really unlike dryrotting tires. The grommet is rubber and is suscepted to fuel, so it wont last forever. By the time they normally start to fail, chances are someone has had need to replace the fuel pump, and the grommet is replaced. It's the lower-mile creampuffs and garage cars that tend to need a grommet before the pump.

Good luck.