Lean Codes And Dont Know What To Fix

bluebullet09

Sep 14, 2012
i have a 95 mustang gt completely stock, i am getting lean codes for both sides code 181/182/189/and 95 i have changed o2 sensors,distributor,pip,icm,ccrm,computer,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel pump,filter,regulater,and head gaskets,thermostat,and radiator. dont know what else to do. the car has a mis to it ,along with power comes and goes as if the a/c clutch is engaging and then chevck engine light comes, temp goes to average of 230 to 250 a/c is off . was thinking about unplugging o2 harness and see if that helps knowing i would get check engine light but maybe car would run better. ANY IDEAS PLEASE AND THANK YOU BEEN TRYING FOR 2 YEARS AND NOT GOING TO GIVE UP

• Sponsors (?)

Possible that one or more of the cats are clogged. Does the exhaust have a rotten egg odor and does the exhaust seem to have the same pressure on both sides? Loss of power or a sluggish feeling is typical with a failed cat. Your temps of 230-250*F are not average but are on the extreme side of high.Might also explain the O2 DTC's.

See if this link is helpful.

wow i think i just got those same codes.....i had the entire left & right banks running lean & threw a code. mechanics said it was fuel regulator since keyon fuel pressure rose and dropped immediately. Didn't fix my problem so my next step is to change fuel pump......hopefully that fixes mine because fuel pressure is low, but i hope i dont end up chasin a problem like yours

When one of the cats clogs up, it will feel like you stepped onto the sun as soon as you lift the hood. Been there. Start the car, and just let it idle. Point the laser temperature gun at each primary on the exhaust header. If all the temperatures are fairly consistent then it's not an injector or misfire. If one comes up eratic, then run a compression test on the engine and look for eratic compression. Obviously if one cylinder has bad compression, then it's a mechanical problem. If the compression is good on one cylinder, but the temperature on the primary is off, then it's most likely a bad injector. Swap the injector on that cylinder with another one to ensure it's the injector, not the wiring, and repeat the temp test.

Kurt

A buddy of mine owns Stable Racing in las vegas he said the cats are fine

Is he clairvoyant or has he actually tested them so they can be taken off the table as a possible cause? I mentioned them as you were experiencing abnormally high temperatures.

Ok. I will. We did a comp test before the head gasket change and they were all close to each other i just unplugged the o2 sensors and cleared codes. Gonna go cruise it now

Unplugging the O2 sensors will cause a rich condition as the ECU has no AFR feedback upon which to determine the fuel requirements other than the air mass as measured by the MAF sensor.

Ok. So far no detonation or a miss and the temp did not go above 210 only went 3 miles on the freeway will test more tonight when wife goes to bed. Lol

Is that with the O2's unplugged?

He put the car on the rack. Was under the car and comes back to me and said the cats were good. They are factory never changed. O2s are unplugged now and car has not had a problem. But timing is still at 5 degrees have not put it back to 10 yet

He put the car on the rack. Was under the car and comes back to me and said the cats were good. They are factory never changed. O2s are unplugged now and car has not had a problem. But timing is still at 5 degrees have not put it back to 10 yet

Start with the things you know are wrong. 5 degrees is wrong, so fix that first. Unplugging the O2s doesn't fix the problem, it just removes the computers ability to detect the problem.

Kurt