Leather Steering Wheel Fix

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so I got the wheel re-laced using my new idea and it worked out much better. I am still going to cut the leather where it is over the spokes and glue it to the curvature of the orignal wrap but at least now I don't want to take this off and I can live with it.

Although it doesn't look OEM it's hundreds less...

Before:
Picture144.jpg

After:
Feb2011026.jpg

Rewrap looks mich better.

I actually put the same wrap on my '88s steering wheel. It's a smaller thickness wheel, so I managed to get it very tight. Looks pretty good.

I'll repeat by referencing that other FR500 steering wheel thread.

I stumbled upon a used dark charcoal '03 Cobra wheel. They are double wrapped leather compared to GT/V6 single wrapped wheels. I got mine for $52ish shipped off eBay. Check local yards. Mine fit great and has been in my car for about 30k miles without any visible signs of wear since I got it.

Ok so I got the wheel re-laced using my new idea and it worked out much better. I am still going to cut the leather where it is over the spokes and glue it to the curvature of the orignal wrap but at least now I don't want to take this off and I can live with it.

Although it doesn't look OEM it's hundreds less...

Before:
Picture144.jpg

After:
Feb2011026.jpg

Looking much better - good job.

Post some more when you finish cutting and gluing. I'm curious to see how close to the original curvature you can get.