Legislation to Repeal Old Car Emissions Exemption Reintroduced

foghorn67

I'll save you the time and choke myself
Founding Member
Jan 10, 2002
Orange County, CA
They are at it again...
Californians, contact your State Assembly member, and Assemblywomen Lieber and express your oppisition to A.B. 2683 if you are a classic car hobbyists.

I just got the letter from SEMA a couple of days ago.
I will copy and paste if I hear it's cool with SN.---here is the letter.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Legislation to Repeal Old Car Emissions Exemption Reintroduced

in California State Assembly

Here we go again! As predicted, legislation has been reintroduced in the California Assembly to repeal the state's current rolling emissions test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older. A.B. 2683 repeals the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replaces it with a provision requiring the permanent testing of all pre-1976 vehicles. This year, the bill was introduced by California State Assemblywoman Sally Lieber (D-District 22).

We Urge You to Contact Assemblywoman Lieber and Your Own State Assembly Member Immediately to Oppose A.B. 2683

Existing law in California exempts all vehicles 30-years old and older from emissions testing.

California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.

Vehicles 30-years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).

Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

Contact your State Assembly Member to oppose A.B. 2683. Assemblywoman Lieber can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] To find out who your own State Assembly Member is, contact the California Assembly's general information line at 916/445-4311. This information can also be accessed via the Internet at http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp or by calling the SEMA Washington, DC office at 202-783-6007, ext. 38. Please e-mail a copy of your letters to us at [email protected] or fax to 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500

Washington, D.C. 20004

Attn: Steve McDonald

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Currently those vehicles 30 years old or older do not have to get checks. So, in 2006 a 76 model would no longer need to be tested under the current law. The new law would mean that the 76 model would have to be tested forever. Basically, this would phaze out older vehicles because it would not be cost effective to repair them as parts become scarce. Plus, the testing regulations are nuts.
For example, My 85 Dodge 4x4 parts hauler has had carb rebuilt, heads redone, new computer, new vapor can, all sensors (O2, coolent temp, charge air, etc) new distrib, coil, resistor, all tune up parts, all filters, and catalytic converter replaced within the last 25k miles (tune up & filters within last 100 miles). The truck runs great, doesn't smoke, idles smooth, etc and it still didn't pass. The smog check ony technician said the levels are insane for my vehicle. He even went to the book because he thought the computer was wrong. Now I have to put on a new (big) cat and re-test the bugger. Couldn't imagine the hell someone that doesn't maticulously care for their car would go through.

Go get um! Every damn stupid emissions law CA passes filters down to NY somehow. Idiots. FL doesn't even have a frickin state inspection, and I have to worry about a smog pump being on a car that's driven probably 3,000 mi a year (82 firebird)!!!

meh, this is how they get those weird freak militant cults started lol. but seriously, that's gypped. they've been trying time and again to do this, and frankly, they don't understand just how big the automotive industry is here. it's huge. doing this wouldnt be as big a blow as the worker's comp thing was here, but it would definitly be a poor move on their part.
i'll get in touch with the legislature again, for what good it'll do. but i'm not gonna sit back idly....besides, i doubt the Governator would sign this one haha

65fastback2+2 said:
it wont pass, sides, most ya'lls stangs run cleaner than those heap vans immigrants drive.

(no im not racist, its just a known fact)

It's not how clean they run, but what mods have been done.

Besides, in a day and age where legislators are capable of getting radio talk show hosts banned, or are more concerned if 2 gay people get married, ANYTHING is possible.

gp001 said:
It's not how clean they run, but what mods have been done.

Besides, in a day and age where legislators are capable of getting radio talk show hosts banned, or are more concerned if 2 gay people get married, ANYTHING is possible.
emissions is how clean it runs right??? how much pollutants are being put into the air, and if they pass, move to good ole texas haha

65fastback2+2 said:
emissions is how clean it runs right??? how much pollutants are being put into the air, and if they pass, move to good ole texas haha

In CA it's also mandatory (i believe) to have all the original smog/emissions equiptment and procedures (yes on the 67 and up stangs that can be very difficult to find especially on an non original CA car or a modified one). So it's not just good enough to pass the sniffer test, but also a visual inspection. On the other hand how many of the emissions inspectors know exactly what to look for in original equiptment even if it's listed in the computer/book :shrug:

65fastback2+2 said:

In addition to what Oboe said, it also means you can not put a bigger motor in, etc. without going through the SMOG (BAR) Referees. For example, lets say you originally had a 6 cyl car and you swapped in a 347, you would ne screwed.

While I believe you can build a 30+ yo car (classic) to be a clean car, even by today's standard. I think they should be left to be hotrods, a piece of "living" and moving history. Absolute powerhouses with no regard to pollution. That should be allowed. Most classics will be fairly clean anyways, not everyone is going to build a 1200HP machine that blows flames at your children when you're waiting to cross the road, but that is what they should be allowed to be... rods.

gp001 said:
In addition to what Oboe said, it also means you can not put a bigger motor in, etc. without going through the SMOG (BAR) Referees. For example, lets say you originally had a 6 cyl car and you swapped in a 347, you would ne screwed.
but we all know, you have a fricking 6 cylinder, with it's only claim to fame is the pretty battery cables.
So why are you worried? :rlaugh:

btw-there was no emissions equipment on my car in the first place. it's not a california car.