length of throttle

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
Is there a preferred number for the correct exact length of the accelerator rod, on the 1967/8 model small block cars? I see the adjustments that can be made on the firewall end, but what is it supposed to be? I mean, from the center of the carb stud, to the center of the accelerator linkage, that the gas pedal operates...

• Sponsors (?)

Many things can cause variation in this length, that's why it's adjustable. Do this- Use a push stick or friend to hold the gas pedal on the floor. With the rod disconnected from the carb, adjust the rod so that the carb is fully opened with the pedal on the floor. I like to go one or two turns tighter just to be sure. If the car is an automatic, the kickdown should also be fully pulled at this point.

The reason I asked, is that I made a custom rod, that has heim joints on either end. I think it might be a bit long, by about an inch or so. Of course, I'm still in africa, so I can't cofirm right now, I was just hoping some body would say "pg 34 ch 2, engines recommended length is 10.25 inches". That way I would be able to compare to what I made when I get home.