Less then 300 miles on my new setup and it already broke (Tremec hate inside)...

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
What broke might you ask? The very expensive TKO-600 that I bought brand new. I was coming home from work and decided to put the car in the shop so it could start to cool down (I need to repair the fuel tank vent line that I crushed a few months ago). I get the Cobra out and back the 91 down my driveway (steep hill leading to a busy main road with a 65mph limit). It ground a little going into reverse, so I popped it into 3rd, then 4th, it went into reverse fine. I started backing down my driveway (I have to so I can get on the path to my shop). I got right at the peak of the slope and went to put it into 1st. No go. In fact, I only had left/right (neutral gate). Totally locked out of every gear. So here I am, at home, by myself, stuck on a hill with no gears, and the emergency brake isn't strong enough hold the car.

After a few hundred choice words I finally rip on the E-brake so hard it holds the car. I run and get a block of wood to chock the rear tires. To make a long story a little shorter after about 30 minutes I got the car into gear. I went back out and moved the shifter back and forth real slowly while slightly pushing forward trying to feel the gate. All of a sudden it slipped into gear. Now it goes into all the gears like nothing is wrong. I'm on hold right now with D&D trying to talk to someone so I can get an answer on what my problem is.

Either way I only got about 275 miles out of this sucker and now I'm going to have to pull it back apart again. :mad:

The worst part of it all is, this is the first long weekend in months I've had off and I didn't have any heavy wrenching to do. I was finally going to get to relax and maybe enjoy putting some miles on this thing instead of having to work on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not there to see/feel what you are but the description sounds like a clutch that is not fully disengaging.

That is what I thought also. The first thing I tried was adjusting the clutch cable, but it wouldn't go into gear with the engine off, clutch in or out. It wouldn't even try to grind the gears if I tried to push it into gear with the clutch out (if that makes any sense).

Oh, I was able to get a hold of Tremec and explained the story to them. They said it sounds like it wasn't built right. Seems like they are going to warranty the parts, but I still have to pull it back apart.

I get ya. Definitely odd that it won't go into the slot with motor not even spinning. It's not like we have a linkage to worry about. Hmmmm.

PUll the shifter and see if there's something obvious, like a broken shifter ball or something.

I get ya. Definitely odd that it won't go into the slot with motor not even spinning. It's not like we have a linkage to worry about. Hmmmm.

PUll the shifter and see if there's something obvious, like a broken shifter ball or something.

Yeah, it would be nice if it was something simple that didn't require me to pull the trans back out. I think the thing that tipped off the tech was the fact that 1st and 5th were harder to engage then all the other gears.

I'm getting a little better at this then I'd like to be me thinks.

k2i6it.jpg

Def sucks dude... A least they are gonna warranty it. That sucker isnt cheap. Ive pulled my trans out so many times, i can have it out in an hr or less no joke. lol I hate these cars

I'm not sure yet. The guy on the phone made it sound like they would cover parts, but they want me to ship it to Amarillo. For the cost of shipping I might as well just get a local guy to fix it. Down side is I have been trying to save as much $$ as possible so I can pay some bills off next month and I shouldn't be having to pay anything. Bad enough I had to pull a new build back apart.

Sounds like you broke one of the Shift Forks.Could have been due to defective
part or you just caught it right when the Clutch hadn't fully disengaged an broke it.
I've never been a big fan of those Tremecs.Hope you can get it back together without
having to spend a pile of money on it.

With the transmission out of the car, have you tried shifting into any gears?

Yeah, it feels the same. Well, felt, I already dropped it off with the trans guy.

Sounds like you broke one of the Shift Forks.Could have been due to defective
part or you just caught it right when the Clutch hadn't fully disengaged an broke it.
I've never been a big fan of those Tremecs.Hope you can get it back together without
having to spend a pile of money on it.

It felt like this from day one before I even started the engine. The Tremec rep I talked to said he thinks that something was machined incorrectly.