Lesson I learned yesterday that might help you or someone you know....

My wife called me at 1:00 pm yesterday and told me that she was in a wreck but was allright. She was cruising along in the left lane, about to make a turn, when a car comes over on her and smashes her into oncoming traffic. She said that the lady immediately came to the car apologizing and saying it was her fault. I immediately went to the scene, and I am glad I did. I got there and saw that her Mercedes was extensively damaged. As I was parking a Deputy pulled up. As I was walking across the street, the Deputy leaves (wtf)? I go over to my wife and ask her what the deputy said. She said he never came to the car. Just got on her radio and left. 2 minutes later a safety patrol person pulls up. Safety Patrol are officers in training that have no jurisdiction at all. She tells me that she was instructed to fill out a "short form" and let the insurance companies handle it. I asked why the lady didnt get a ticket, and she said because there where no witnesses. I said "the lady admitted she hit my wife". She said that Florida was a "No Fault" state and that was how it works. I had given in to the fact that I was fixing to be hit with a $1000 deductable as well as having an extensively damaged C230K. As I sat to wait for the wrecker, I got more and more pissed. I decided to make a stand on this. I told the Safety Patrol Officer, that I was not going to allow my vehicle to be towed until the accident was investigated. She got on the radio, and 15 minutes later a city policeman arrived. He looked at my car, then looked at the skid marks my wife left, and went to sit in his car and write. Here we go again, I thought, as he didnt ask anything. 10 minutes later he comes out with paperwork for me, and a ticket for Improper Lane Change for the other driver. My persistance paid off. If I would have left it alone, or not shown up, it would have cost me $1000 and a claim on my insurance.

Moral

1) Beg the officer to investigate, if you feel that you are in the right.
2) If in Florida, "No Fault" does not apply to car damage, only to injuries. Dont let them tell you "Fl is a no fault statre". That is quick bs to baffle you and make you give up.

This chick hit my Benz so hard that it broke the a-arm off and the wheel quickly ate up my bumper and fender. This wont be cheap. But at least I still have $1000 for stang parts.

Gary

• Sponsors (?)

I Hate florida no fault but more then that i hate how the cops act when they get to the accident sitting in thier car not even asking the fat bastard who rearended you why he reached for his cigarette that he dropped instead of paying attention to traffic and rear ended you at a redlight at 40mph while your at a dead stop and now your back hurts and ur explorer's rear end is folded in.

Oh by the way i was rearended last week :owned:

Ouch.... I hate the legal system, but it's all we have and I can't think of anything better that I would want to be responsible for. :roll:

Glad to hear everyone is okay. Cars are cars. I kept trying to tell myself that when I got rear ended in the stang one month after I bought it.

Glad to hear she is OK as well.

Both time's I had been side swiped, the officer never wanted to fill out a report. It was only after I persistant enough that they finally quit being lazy and did their job. Without that report, the people that hit me could change their story around or claim injury. I would have no leg to stand on!