Lesson Learned: ALWAYS reset your ECU after installing intake mods;what a difference!

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
Last friday I had an Anderson powerpipe/k&n (similer in design to JLT) and steeda timing adjuster installed (13*). My car died after a WOT run on the highway and my MIL came on. So, sunday I reset the ECU, and ever since everything has been perfect. No check engine light (hope it stays that way). And I just got to floor it again, and WOW. There IS a noticeable difference.

1)Throttle response improved - The T/A has made initial acceleration snappier, especially around ~2400rpm.

2)Overall powerband improved - The car takes off harder, especially in 2nd gear from a roll. If I roll to ~3600rpm in 2nd and punch it, you can feel the extra thrust. I did this tonight, and shifted into third (not powershifting, conservative WOT shift) and BARKED the tires loudly. The car jerked forward and pulled like a raped ape. It put a HUGE smile on my face. I 100% notice a difference between shifts. It's all too easy now to break the rear end loose on a 1-2 shift, the car will go sideways if I want it to on most surfaces, even with my HEAVY 18x10.5's/295/35/18's MX's. (which is a 62lb. combo btw).

3)Sound - I can't hear a difference, but I gave my brother a ride and he immediently noticed the difference in sound. He said when I floored it, it made it sound like two engines; giving my engine a more "3D" fuller sound. Probably becuase the intake is sitting right in front of him, but if others can hear it, cool.

I run 93 Octane and always have, so plan on setting the t/a to 14* soon, hopefully I will notice even more snap. I don't want to jinx it, but this combo put a huge smile on my face tonight, and the benifits are magnified in cooler weather. I couldn't even really tell a difference in acceleration with the addition of my X-pipe, but with these two mods combined, after the ECU has adjusted, it not only feels faster, but I know it is by how my car reacts now to shifts and what not.

BTW, I got the Anderson powerpipe used for $150, k&n filter new for $40, and t/a for $120 shipped. I don't want to throw out any hp guestimations, but it feels like it has been truley worth it, and I can't wait to dyno my beast. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)