Let's get a discussion on what is a better means to show potential: Dyno or Track?

• Sponsors (?)

I think the dyno is a great place to tune your car, make adjustments that actually work and pick/change parts to see if you're going in the right direction. I think the track is where the entire combination can be tweaked to perform within the parameters of the actual dyno readings. That said, I think that you need both of them. Their both equally important, especially when used in conjunction with each other.

I think that there's a great movement that's going on with dyno's. Ten years ago, dyno's were hard to come by and people didn't have the opportunity to tune their cars, thus the tuning was done at the track (prehistoric huh?) These days, virtually every GOOD performance shop has a dyno.

I've actually done both and I think I've got my car performing up to my horsepower level. However, I've seen other people who dyno their car and then go to the track, only to be disappointed with their results. They either have the wrong stall converter installed, wrong tires (street radials), no traction control arms, etc...etc...etc...

Remember people, it takes the entire combination to go fast. Horsepower alone will no do it. The dyno will give you the numbers of the engine, the track will give you the numbers for the car.

I have never been on dyno, I know alot of people who have and I woudlnt mind spinning on one once. BUT...I do agree its more of a bragging tool, IMO. Granted my car is a purpose built drag car, but it dosent matter if I change a cam and gain 20HP its how the car is going to react at the track. Maybe modification A nets me 80 rwhp but spins the tires and I lose .010 off my 60 ft. I have lost performance. The dyno cant predict chassis adjustments and driving technique.
Its all what you build your car to do drag race or dyno race?

Euphoric306 said:
hey stangateurlilSS... r u talking about the riverside fwy in california? if so im right up the 15. if not, well then nevermind haha

yeah i'm talking about that 91 freeway.. just past brookhurst the kid totalled the 03 into the wall.. dumb a$$ kids.. 17 year old with 548rwhp.. and no brains..

Michael Yount said:
Sounds like you believe you can get consistently accurate numbers from the dyno -- I don't share that opinion.

Sounds like you misunderstand me. I think it is a more accurate account if you use the dyno compared to the track. More consistent. Very simple thought.

Michael Yount said:
And, still waiting.....how much road racing have you done?

Lol...

Fellas, I'm talking about if you wanted to see the most accurate account of what an engine mod did (I thought I had inferred this:)), would the dyno or track be more suitable to see what gains you actually received.

Now being that the dyno has less variables that can change, would it not be logical to think the dyno is a better place to notice a difference and that can be broken down quite well...

"Now being that the dyno has less variables that can change," There's the flaw in your thinking. By my thinking (and experience) there are just as many non-controllable changing variables with the chassis dyno as there are at the track. Engine dyno's are MUCH more controllable than chassis dynos. That's why you have most people who've posted here telling you that there's a place for both and that in general using both dyno AND track data will give you the most accurate picture of how a change has affected performance.

The reason I keep asking you how much road racing experience you have is because it's germaine to the discussion. You keep making assumptions about what you can and can't control at the track -- so, once again. How much road racing experience do you have? BTW, it's a simple question. ;)

5spd GT said:
Fellas, I'm talking about if you wanted to see the most accurate account of what an engine mod did (I thought I had inferred this:)), would the dyno or track be more suitable to see what gains you actually received.

Now being that the dyno has less variables that can change, would it not be logical to think the dyno is a better place to notice a difference and that can be broken down quite well...

There are literally 100+ variables you could throw at that statement...you're just trying to ruffle feathers... :rlaugh:

IMO, the average guy is going to be able to "see what gains you actually recieved" on the dyno better, because the "average" guy might not have much seat time at the track. I've seen plenty of guys who go out and supercharge their cars and then race, and say "hey WTF, i'm running 9lbs of boost and i only ran 1/2 second faster???" Well, that's because if you don't know how to drive, more power might just make your launch and your 60 even worse, and then your ET drops instead of picking up. Even a dyno can show descrepencies between several different pulls, but it will ultimately show you a gain that you can reproduce with some kind of consistancy, whereas the track might require YOU to mod your own ability to drive before you see any gains.

THREAD CLOSED....lol

Michael Yount said:
"Now being that the dyno has less variables that can change," There's the flaw in your thinking. By my thinking (and experience) there are just as many non-controllable changing variables with the chassis dyno as there are at the track. Engine dyno's are MUCH more controllable than chassis dynos. That's why you have most people who've posted here telling you that there's a place for both and that in general using both dyno AND track data will give you the most accurate picture of how a change has affected performance.

Tell me what the dyno has in uncontrolled variables compared to the track. By my "calculations" the track has many more variables to contend with. Track prep, temp, track temp, head wind, down wind, driver (big one right there), shifting rpm, etc.

Dyno, straps? What is on the dyno that isn't on the track...?

Michael Yount said:
The reason I keep asking you how much road racing experience you have is because it's germaine to the discussion. You keep making assumptions about what you can and can't control at the track -- so, once again. How much road racing experience do you have? BTW, it's a simple question. ;)

Road racing has the same uncontrolled variables at the track except for a longer distance and it involves brakes, curves, etc. It also involves a longer period of time which becomes much much harder to decipher where the extra 1/10th of a second came from...

"Lol..."

:)

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
There are literally 100+ variables you could throw at that statement...you're just trying to ruffle feathers... :rlaugh:

Something like that...let's hear 50 of them:)

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
IMO, the average guy is going to be able to "see what gains you actually recieved" on the dyno better, because the "average" guy might not have much seat time at the track. I've seen plenty of guys who go out and supercharge their cars and then race, and say "hey WTF, i'm running 9lbs of boost and i only ran 1/2 second faster???" Well, that's because if you don't know how to drive, more power might just make your launch and your 60 even worse, and then your ET drops instead of picking up. Even a dyno can show descrepencies between several different pulls, but it will ultimately show you a gain that you can reproduce with some kind of consistancy, whereas the track might require YOU to mod your own ability to drive before you see any gains.:

The dyno would show the potential of the car...no matter what the driver does. Engine mods here...that is what we are talking about.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
THREAD CLOSED....lol

Still open;)

Michael Yount said:
So - how much road racing EXPERIENCE do you have? Simple question you seem to be avoiding.

Michael, you are missing the point. The variable are even greater with roadcoarse/auto-x events. You should know that...

Should I discuss my roadracing experience? Am I that bored...nahhh;)

Just for nostalgic purposes - Lol...

You like to twist points of threads to swing your way...it doesn't work that way on me:)

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Modifications that effect power, what is the best method to see what you actually gained and which has less variables to worry about? I'm looking for more definitive proof over a dyno run that a track is a more reliable means of noticing a power difference:shrug:

to me a dyno is a good tuning tool thats it. cant determine et's by the dyno. my car has dyno numbers for a mid 13's car n/a"225rwhp" and mid 12's car on the gas"282rwhp" but runs better than that. and theres some cars that do just the oppsite.

rsw007 said:
to me a dyno is a good tuning tool thats it. cant determine et's by the dyno. my car has dyno numbers for a mid 13's car n/a"225rwhp" and mid 12's car on the gas"282rwhp" but runs better than that. and theres some cars that do just the oppsite.

I see your point but that wasn't the point of the thread.

I'm asking, what is a better way to determine what kind of power you received from an engine mod that increases horsepower output. Dyno or track. Dyno has less variables so should be a more reliable source.

....and you don't have to be a professional grade driver to get meaningful data on changes at the drag strip or the road course. You simply have to be able to drive the car in a similar fashion during the runs. At the strip you can idle it out and short shift into second and run hard from there. That eliminates most traction and driving variables. Also, when you're looking to check whether you've added HP or not, you're looking at mph, not ET. Traction/driver/launch issues impact ET much more than they impact mph.

Even simpler than that are tests anyone can run on the street. All that's needed is an open, lightly traveled section of road. You simply do timed wot acceleration runs in one gear -- second or third gear from say 2000 rpm to 5500 rpm. You do 4 to 6 runs, be sure everything (tranny, rearend too) is up to operating temp, and you do the runs in BOTH directions and average them. This takes wind and elevation changes out of the picture. Of course you want to try and test in similar ambient temps and when it's dry. It's a VERY effective way to measure changes and much cheaper than track time or dyno time.

While there are track variables, they can be accomodated and adjusted for and you don't have to be a world class driver to do so. The challenge with dynos are multiple 1) you don't know when or how the unit has been calibrated; 2) you don't know when new operating software updates have been done or what impacts they have; 3) you don't know how or if the dyno operator is impacting outputs through changes in software or inputs; 4) strap down techniques - both belt tension and HOW the straps attach to the car can have significant impacts on readings; 5) all the environmental elements at work at the track also impact dyno runs; 6) most vehicle elements that can impact consistency from run to run aren't monitored at all - tire pressure, tranny and rear end fluid temps, oil temps, etc.

I've watched (and participated in) a lot of dyno runs. I'm amazed at the number of times that the results of the runs end up really close to the owner's expectations (funny how the operator will ask 'what do you think it will do?'). Coincidence? I think not - it happens too much. Or the results end up FAR short of expectations only to find out after an 'adjustment' by the operator that the dyno brake was dragging....well, how often has that happened? And all of that is for Dynojet dynos -- the Mustang dynos (any of the eddy-current dynos) have WAY more variables than that in the way the dyno is loaded with current.

The chassis dynos are simply not as accurate or repeatable as you think they are. That's why people are pointing to using both track and dyno - neither are perfect, one isn't better than another. They're different and have different reasons for being fallible.

So - how much road racing experience do you have 5spd? You keep saying things like "The variable are even greater with roadcoarse/auto-x events." I just want to know what the experience base is for that statement. Simple question.

You say 'I should know' - I do have extensive road racing experience - and based on it I've reached the conclusion I trust the track as much or even more than the dyno. So - tell us about your road racing experience -- you know, those variables you keep talking about. How did you learn about those variables?

Michael Yount said:
....and you don't have to be a professional grade driver to get meaningful data on changes at the drag strip or the road course. You simply have to be able to drive the car in a similar fashion during the runs. At the strip you can idle it out and short shift into second and run hard from there. That eliminates most traction and driving variables. Also, when you're looking to check whether you've added HP or not, you're looking at mph, not ET. Traction/driver/launch issues impact ET much more than they impact mph.

Michael that would not work and isn't close enough to be repeatable. If you think about it, how are you going to idle out the same, or shift out of 1st at the same exact rpm and distance, or go WOT at the same rpm in 2nd gear? It simply would be nearly just as accurate of info as a "normal" drag race.

I am very aware of mph and e.t. and if you have ever paid attention I am a big proponent of pushing mph and not e.t.

Michael Yount said:
Even simpler than that are tests anyone can run on the street. All that's needed is an open, lightly traveled section of road. You simply do timed wot acceleration runs in one gear -- second or third gear from say 2000 rpm to 5500 rpm. You do 4 to 6 runs, be sure everything (tranny, rearend too) is up to operating temp, and you do the runs in BOTH directions and average them. This takes wind and elevation changes out of the picture. Of course you want to try and test in similar ambient temps and when it's dry. It's a VERY effective way to measure changes and much cheaper than track time or dyno time.

That could work as well...I agree. Stay on the same road and start at close to the same location as possible to keep grade levels the same. Then you just have to rely on how quick/accurate your fingers are on the stop watch or when you look at it.

Michael Yount said:
While there are track variables, they can be accomodated and adjusted for and you don't have to be a world class driver to do so. The challenge with dynos are multiple 1) you don't know when or how the unit has been calibrated; 2) you don't know when new operating software updates have been done or what impacts they have; 3) you don't know how or if the dyno operator is impacting outputs through changes in software or inputs; 4) strap down techniques - both belt tension and HOW the straps attach to the car can have significant impacts on readings; 5) all the environmental elements at work at the track also impact dyno runs; 6) most vehicle elements that can impact consistency from run to run aren't monitored at all - tire pressure, tranny and rear end fluid temps, oil temps, etc.

Well 1-3 of those variables you listed can be answered by asking the dyno[/B] operator;)

Dyno runs are more in an enclosed area in most cases (besides those portable ones at the track and events). They are mostly inside in a working environment. The ones I have seen and witnessed in person and thru media.

The operating temps and tire pressure also effect the track as well.

The dyno simply has less impactive scenarios to degrade mod information gathered as compared to the track.

Michael Yount said:
I've watched (and participated in) a lot of dyno runs. I'm amazed at the number of times that the results of the runs end up really close to the owner's expectations (funny how the operator will ask 'what do you think it will do?'). Coincidence? I think not - it happens too much. Or the results end up FAR short of expectations only to find out after an 'adjustment' by the operator that the dyno brake was dragging....well, how often has that happened? And all of that is for Dynojet dynos -- the Mustang dynos (any of the eddy-current dynos) have WAY more variables than that in the way the dyno is loaded with current.

I don't see to much of that...and anyone that is serious enough about their car should realize what is accurate and what is not. How could a dyno operator give you the exact or close to rwhp numbers that the owner thinks he will get? How can he do those type of calculations because as you know much information has to be entered and taken into consideration to get "real numbers". I bet I could guess within 10rwhp what I'm putting out...but I'm sure it would be because the dyno operator rigged it;) Lol...not.

Michael Yount said:
The chassis dynos are simply not as accurate or repeatable as you think they are. That's why people are pointing to using both track and dyno - neither are perfect, one isn't better than another. They're different and have different reasons for being fallible.

I never said they were up to any standard. Just that they are more reliable than a track times/mph. Never said one was perfect or the answer would be obvious and no debate would exist.

Again to go back to the question: If you added a horsepower enhancing modification what would be better to tell what kind of power you got (more accurate?). I'm not sure how someone can say how the track has less variables to control or can be more accurate with a power enhancing mod.

What if you have traction problems at the track and due to that aren't aware of where to shift and end up in a low mph stage. The dyno can show you the potential that there is more to it...just a simple example.

Michael Yount said:
So - how much road racing experience do you have 5spd? You keep saying things like "The variable are even greater with roadcoarse/auto-x events." I just want to know what the experience base is for that statement. Simple question.

Whether I have the experience needed or not MY, it is a very simple thought process that allows one to think the auto course has more variables to go wrong. Difference in track, dips, suspension (turning), brakes, when did you brake, when did you start the apex, etc...etc...etc...etc. All that effects your time. How can that be more "power accurate" than a dyno:shrug: I'd be very curious to see how you get that conclusion.

Michael Yount said:
You say 'I should know' - I do have extensive road racing experience - and based on it I've reached the conclusion I trust the track as much or even more than the dyno. So - tell us about your road racing experience -- you know, those variables you keep talking about. How did you learn about those variables?

So with your "should know" knowledge.

The funny thing is you can get those variables by watching, maybe that is all I have did and maybe it isn't.

It is the simplest thing I have probably ever had to compare.

A dyno run for a few seconds or a "loop" around a designated course for possible minutes at a time. Much more time frame and "turning" variables to change the end result of the lap. I can't believe you are even trying to debat that...i'm stunned:p

darthcual said:
Run whatcha brung. Meaning i dont care how fast a dyno says your car is, lets line them up and see if you can beat me. I'm not afraid to lose (its happened alot)

In that case I whole heartly agree with you, however that is not the point of this thread.

I'm talking if you were to add a horsepower adding modification, what would be a better way to show an increase/decrease. One with less variables to control or one with more to control (aka: dyno or track).