Fox Lets make my AC work again

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
After taking the convertible out on a hot day, I found that AC would've been EXTREMELY nice to have. So I want to make my AC work, but I don't know where to start. This car started as a 1993 4 banger convertible, but has since been swapped to a carbureted 5.0. This swap was done by the previous owner and most of the electrical systems were removed/disabled. From the looks of it, the car has most of the parts required for AC. Right now, I think only the the soft lines and clutch wiring is missing.

Here are some pictures of what I've got:

image0.jpg

This is the compressor. It looks to be in great condition, but it has been disconnected for quite some time. Turns free and creates pressure/suction out of the holes. The clutch wiring is not connected, nor do I know where it is. I am unsure where this harness would be or where is would come from.

Pic1.jpg

Here are the lines going into the vehicle. Everything here looks to be in great condition and undamaged. The pressure switch is installed doesn't seem to be messed with during the swap.
Pic2.jpg

Here are the lines in it right now. I think this is where it would've connected to the compressor on the four cylinder, but I am not sure.

There is a plethora of disconnected harnesses near these lines. I have a feeling one of these is likely the compressor clutch harness, but again, I am not sure.

So could it be as simple as connecting the the clutch and installing the correct lines/hoses, then charging the system? If not what all needs addressed?
I don't necessarily want to spend a lot of money on this and I still have to decide if I want to screw with converting r12 to r134a.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the LMR conversion kit so I can run the new freon. I can't answer any specific questions because I had a Ford expert mechanic install it. That was over a year ago. Love the system. It still works awesome.

How long has the system been opened?

your most important task really is flushing the system and ensuring no debris is inside. It will block the orifice tube (which should be replaced anyway) and cause issues.

R134a is not compatible with mineral oil, so a total system flush is necessary regardless.

i recommend new o rings. You’ll want to assemble the system with the recommended oil in rhe

once the system is assembled you need to pull a DEEP vacuum. 500 microns or better.

After that, charge with desired Freon. I prefer R12. It’s pricey, but available on eBay. A license is required technically but I have yet to ever have anyone ask to see mine.

I’m doing my ac system over as part of my rebuild with all new parts and R12

How long has the system been opened?

your most important task really is flushing the system and ensuring no debris is inside. It will block the orifice tube (which should be replaced anyway) and cause issues.

R134a is not compatible with mineral oil, so a total system flush is necessary regardless.

i recommend new o rings. You’ll want to assemble the system with the recommended oil in rhe

once the system is assembled you need to pull a DEEP vacuum. 500 microns or better.

After that, charge with desired Freon. I prefer R12. It’s pricey, but available on eBay. A license is required technically but I have yet to ever have anyone ask to see mine.

I’m doing my ac system over as part of my rebuild with all new parts and R12
Your right Mike. I went through the whole process, but didn't clean enough. My orafice is clogged and freezes up at the tube. Redoing the whole thing soon with more new parts. Did the whole thing, and getting hot air. I am ordering Freeze 12. It doesn't need heavy vacuum, and moisture resistant. Can't wait because we are about to get into the nineties every day......Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning,new dryer. the only thing left is the thing by the heater box

Your right Mike. I went through the whole process, but didn't clean enough. My orafice is clogged and freezes up at the tube. Redoing the whole thing soon with more new parts. Did the whole thing, and getting hot air. I am ordering Freeze 12. It doesn't need heavy vacuum, and moisture resistant. Can't wait because we are about to get into the nineties every day......Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning,new dryer. the only thing left is the thing by the heater box
Pete ,The deeper the vacuum you get any system into the better the system performs . You want as little moisture and trash as possible .

I totally redid my A/C when I bought my 89....The picture of your compressor is an older R12 style (like mine) the picture you show of your lines have the newer R134a connections, which wont attach to your compressor. You need to buy the suction and discharge line which will attach to your compressor. This is important for two reasons, one it will come with a new receiver/dryer, and two you will have the other line that has the orfice tube installed. If the system has been open to atmosphere for a long time the drier will be saturated with moisture from the ambient air. I would replace all orings and make sure you use the correct oil with whichever refrigerant you decide on.