Let's Rumble-not!

RDTVFR

Mar 11, 2012
My 2012, with 6sp manual tranny, has an occasional shudder when I let off the gas and let the engine drag my speed down. It goes away if I hit the gas, clutch or if the engine drop about another 500 from where the shudder started. I've seen the shudder perfectly described concerning the automatic trannys but jack about the manuals. Help?

• Sponsors (?)

does the shudder only happen when the clutch is partially depressed (warped flywheel or hotspotted pressure plate) or does it happen every time the gas is let off. could be a bearing issue. could be a bad tire. does it happen at certain speeds? how many miles are on the car? what RPM does this happen at? the RPM will drop when you let off the gas/ depress the clutch. itll idle down slowly for shifting/EPA C.A.R.B. emissions purposes.

No, if I touch the clutch at all or apply gas the shudder disappears. It doesn't always happen but when it does, it's after I either let off or feather the gas. The tires look fine, pressures verified good. It tends to vary in terms of speed and RPM but it seems more speed/RPM means more intense shudder. I've noticed it the most at 2250RPM though it's happened at 3kRPM. When I let off the gas sometimes the RPMs drop a bit before the shudder happens but when it does it goes away after another 500RPM drop.

It happens in several gears but is most common in 3rd and 4th. I took her to the Ford shop last week and kidnapped the tranny guy for a ride. Once he felt the shudder (took a bit to get it to perform) he explained the flywheel can do that when the drive force it's dealing with comes from the wheels instead of the engine.

PS: Sorry for the slow reply, work's been a mother in law...