Let's Talk Ball Joints.

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
ok. So I'm swapping in my 94 spindles, looks like I'll be needing to swap ball joints. So far it looks like my options are 1 of 2 things. Moog or parts store cheapies. I can get the moog problem solvers for about 71, the other moog for about 82, or I can get parts store ones for about 35, so half the price. I'm really torn. I know the moog are good, no clue the difference between the problem solvers and others.

But can the cheap ones really be that bad? Hoping to here some first hand experience on this.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry I just could't resist, I've used moog in the past and have a set fix'n to go on raggity gt. Not had any experience with others, I say don't get cheap on suspension parts if your gonna keep it, and well, abuse is my middle name.
They are probably made in china or Thailand anyway.

I did Moog and haven't had an issue. I have run the drive works and other off brands and in 3 months one of them wore out.

If you are buying from Advance sign up for speed perks and order online to your store.

Use the Code: TRT41R to get 40 off a $100.

Also if you stagger your purchase and there's no rush. Rent a tool kit over $100 and return it with no charge due to it only puts a hold on credit card while you have it.

A week later you get a $20 off $50 that you can use in conjunction of the $40 off a $100.

Now $160 is $100 which is closer to the auto store price ones.

Get Moog, buy once

Reactions: 1 users
I did Moog and haven't had an issue. I have run the drive works and other off brands and in 3 months one of them wore out.

If you are buying from Advance sign up for speed perks and order online to your store.

Use the Code: TRT41R to get 40 off a $100.

Also if you stagger your purchase and there's no rush. Rent a tool kit over $100 and return it with no charge due to it only puts a hold on credit card while you have it.

A week later you get a $20 off $50 that you can use in conjunction of the $40 off a $100.

Now $160 is $100 which is closer to the auto store price ones.

Get Moog, buy once
Yeah , I saved that info awhile back. Good to have

If the car is a daily and sees plenty of miles, go with the moogs. If it's like mine and clocks 1500-2000 miles a year, parts store brand will probably work.

Not sure about the problem solver labelling, but some ball joints are available slightly oversized to account for wearing on the control arm hole they occupy.

Joe

I've chopped drive works and Moog ball joint in half ( proving a point to one of my techs ). The Moog is made 1000 times better than the cheapies. They use Teflon and other stuff to cushion the ball and reduce wear...the cheapies just press fit a metal ball in a metal socket....

The ball joints on our cars are harder to get in straight than most cars.

Patience is a virtue... I ain't got a lot of that.

Steedas are on sale on LMR for 116 for the pair. I was looking too because this is one of the last things i need for my swap

I don't use anything but moog for ball joints.
I actually canceled the steeda . Don't want to deal with their spacer and crap to have my car sit the same . I like the way it sits . Ordered motorcraft for 95 bucks shipped to my door from rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk