Let's talk car alarms

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I'm looking into a car alarm system for my stang after the resto project is done. The car is not a daily and is stored in my garage which is alarmed by ADT & I'm mostly with the car when I'm out but there are times when it's out of my sight.I'm also thinking that maybe an agreed value insurance policy might want one or give a discount on it. I was looking at a Viper system with the added tilt & glass breakage sensors. Do they make a good system? also what other brands, types to you guys use?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a Viper alarm in addition to several hidden kill switches.

Kinda hesitant to go into details on a public forum. :(

I hear ya on the kill switches, I wouldn't let my secrets out either. I'm not too worried about what people are doing for kills I can wire my own up in addition to the alarm. I'm more curious about what type of systems people are running and any feedback in addition to the viper alarm or if more people prefer the viper system over the others.. what model viper system you got? I was thinking something of a middle of the road one with some add ons. I some of the top of the line systems seem to have more than what I need but would be good if it was a daily or parked outside.

My idea was to put a GT headlight switch (with the fog light switch on the bottom) into my notch, and have the fog light switch in the OFF position be the kill switch for the fuel pump relay. OFF on the fog lights means OFF on the fuel pump relay. Unless the thief really knew mustangs, and managed to notice a little detail like the fog light switch in a car without fogs, I think it would stump any would-be thief. Thieves are dumb as **** anyway, by default. If they were smart they'd have a high paying job and not need to steal, right?

Viper/ DEI products are very good. I would go with the options mentioned plus starter kill.

Viper/ DEI products are very good. I would go with the options mentioned plus starter kill.

That's going to be the plan then. Thanks a bunch :nice:

Make sure you don't leave any garage door openers in your outside vehicles. Heard a story about thieves breaking into cars to get into garages.

I have a good old manual door + the garage is alarmed along with the house, god tip though.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be getting the viper. I'll decide on a model then pick up the add ons also.

DEI makes VIPER and HORNET alarms. DEI is the main company (IMO) that peeps should be dealing with when installing an alarm themselves. Too many others are oriented to a specific car or installer.