Lets talk electric fans

• Sponsors (?)

One large fan,3300 com flow,I had it wired with key on and temp. Switch,now I got it wired to batt.so it'll go on or stay on till temp I set is reached.Here in the desert(nevada) I ride her hard and don't want to put her away hot

Reactions: 1 user
One large fan,3300 com flow,I had it wired with key on and temp. Switch,now I got it wired to batt.so it'll go on or stay on till temp I set is reached.Here in the desert(nevada) I ride her hard and don't want to put her away hot

In that scenario, you are really only cooling the radiator... not the engine, because there is no circulation. No?

In my II I run a single with a thermostatic switch which is hot at all times. So when I leave the car the fan continues to blow until it reaches it's set point.

In that scenario, you are really only cooling the radiator... not the engine, because there is no circulation. No?

The way I look at it is this: it is cooling the coolant, but it's also cooling the external surfaces of the engine as well as the ambient temperature of the air surrounding the engine. So, when I go to start the car later - whether it's 5 minutes or whatever - it will be cooler than when I left it. I also have it wired to a switch, I did this for 2 reasons. First, it gives me a redundant switch should the thermostatic control fail, it allows me a way to bypass the relay and still be able to control the fan. And it allows me to kill the power while it is sitting for long periods of time just in the off chance that for some reason there is a draw from that circuit. I haven't had a problem like that that I've noticed, but better to be safe than sorry.

My Fox is bone stock for now. I do intend to install an electric fan down the road, but it's gonna be a while before that happens. I think I may go with a twin fan setup in it, but I haven't put a lot of thought or anything into it as of yet.

In my II I run a single with a thermostatic switch which is hot at all times. So when I leave the car the fan continues to blow until it reaches it's set point.

The way I look at it is this: it is cooling the coolant, but it's also cooling the external surfaces of the engine as well as the ambient temperature of the air surrounding the engine. So, when I go to start the car later - whether it's 5 minutes or whatever - it will be cooler than when I left it. I also have it wired to a switch, I did this for 2 reasons. First, it gives me a redundant switch should the thermostatic control fail, it allows me a way to bypass the relay and still be able to control the fan. And it allows me to kill the power while it is sitting for long periods of time just in the off chance that for some reason there is a draw from that circuit. I haven't had a problem like that that I've noticed, but better to be safe than sorry.

My Fox is bone stock for now. I do intend to install an electric fan down the road, but it's gonna be a while before that happens. I think I may go with a twin fan setup in it, but I haven't put a lot of thought or anything into it as of yet.
It’s cooler then you left it because you circulate the coolant you let cool in the radiator into the engine once you turn the key . If the switch ever fails closed - you will come out to a dead battery . If you wired it to a key on you could kick the key back to let it cool then shut it off . Just my opinion

Last edited:
To answer the question - whatever does the job . I run oem ford contour fans with my blown 347 and it keeps it cool an you have oem reliability .
Lincoln Mark 8 is anothe popular one . 94/95 mustang electric fan is another one to use.
I had a black magic extreme fan and the contours cool better and have more room.

Run a good controller and wire it correctly and never have an issue . Plan ahead if you ever have an issue to have a bypass for it to get home and not over heat so the fan will run without the controller

I have cat sucker fans, they don't cool for sht, but they bend time, and strip the cat of the hair on one side of her body.

I will replace those with a contour, or mark 8 fan if I have room...the cats are safe, and time as we know it remains normal.

I have the Contour dual setup with a DCC controller. I love the DCC. It maintains the set point perfectly. My old Flex-a Lite controller would allow the engine to heat up a bit before turning the fans on and then cooling, even under normal driving. The DCC gets it to op temp and holds it there. The only time it creeps up a bit is if I pound on it good for a while. I don't have crazy kind of power but 400hp at the wheel will heat things up if you flog it a bit. No worries as the DCC brings it back down quick as soon as I stop the abuse.

I have the Contour dual setup with a DCC controller. I love the DCC. It maintains the set point perfectly. My old Flex-a Lite controller would allow the engine to heat up a bit before turning the fans on and then cooling, even under normal driving. The DCC gets it to op temp and holds it there. The only time it creeps up a bit is if I pound on it good for a while. I don't have crazy kind of power but 400hp at the wheel will heat things up if you flog it a bit. No worries as the DCC brings it back down quick as soon as I stop the abuse.
I've rocked my flex a lite for 12 years now ,when she goes I'll get contours and that dcc. What does a dcc go for I heard there $$$$$?