Let's talk Gaskets! For boosted motors!

7upstang91

10 Year Member
May 30, 2008
Florida
I have a rear intake leak from my lower gasket that is leaking oil, in the back. I plan to throw more boost at the motor this time around. This leads to the question...

Which gaskets are the best for upper and lower intake use on a boosted motor? Will the Felpro do the job?
Which water pump gasket is best? I have to reseal that, not due to boost problems.

Any opinions will be openly accepted! Just looking to see what you guys
may suggest or may possibly be running!

Thanks, Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

if boost blows your water pump gaskets you have bigger problems.

Get whatever gasket is required for the heads and intake. Boost isnt going to cause the intake to leak water, an impropper seal will. i'd say you should retorque the intake down 3 or 4 times between heat cycles. The ford intake bolts have a pretty crappy design the way they go thru the intake and loosen up very easily. I check the tq on myne everytime the upper intake is off just to be safe. Also, use silicone on the water jackets

if boost blows your water pump gaskets you have bigger problems.

Get whatever gasket is required for the heads and intake. Boost isnt going to cause the intake to leak water, an impropper seal will. i'd say you should retorque the intake down 3 or 4 times between heat cycles. The ford intake bolts have a pretty crappy design the way they go thru the intake and loosen up very easily. I check the tq on myne everytime the upper intake is off just to be safe. Also, use silicone on the water jackets

I have an oil leak coming from the back of the intake gasket. The water pump gasket never sealed right, so I have to redo that as well. I re-worded my question.

I have a rear intake leak from my lower gasket that is leaking oil, in the back.
Thanks, Tyler

This may not be gasket failure. When you remove the intake, look at where the rear of the heads meet with the block. Often, there is a gap there between the rear, inboard portion of the heads and the block mating surface. A gap large enough that you slide a playing card between the head and the block. That gap needs to be filled.

My personal preference for sealant in the black Permatex that comes in the cheesewiz can. The stuff is simply amazing. Fill that gap and let it dry (not necessarily cure) before you install any other portion of the lower intake. The front and rear gaskets you get as part of the intake gasket set... yeah... throw those in the trash and use the Permatex to create a gasket on the front and rear of the block where those end gasket should go. Let it get tacky then install your gaskets and lower intake. Use the black permatex to encircle all the water jackets and intake ports. Allow to tack before installing. Torque in sequence and voila!

Edit: I coat both sides of the intake gaskets with a very thin bead of the Permatex around all the ports. Bead, tack, place gaskets, bead tack, install intake.

Ive had nothing but problems with permatex black, i switched to "the right stuff" by permatex and i will never use anything else. The black stuff sucks, and to answer the reworded first post, see the second post on this thread. Fel-pros will be fine

This may not be gasket failure. When you remove the intake, look at where the rear of the heads meet with the block. Often, there is a gap there between the rear, inboard portion of the heads and the block mating surface. A gap large enough that you slide a playing card between the head and the block. That gap needs to be filled.

My personal preference for sealant in the black Permatex that comes in the cheesewiz can. The stuff is simply amazing. Fill that gap and let it dry (not necessarily cure) before you install any other portion of the lower intake. The front and rear gaskets you get as part of the intake gasket set... yeah... throw those in the trash and use the Permatex to create a gasket on the front and rear of the block where those end gasket should go. Let it get tacky then install your gaskets and lower intake. Use the black permatex to encircle all the water jackets and intake ports. Allow to tack before installing. Torque in sequence and voila!

Edit: I coat both sides of the intake gaskets with a very thin bead of the Permatex around all the ports. Bead, tack, place gaskets, bead tack, install intake.
I hope that is not the case! But I have a huge feeling you are right! Just spray the stuff in the crap(heads to block) and I should be fine following your instructions?

Are you refering to the cork that goes on the front and back of the lower intake? If so they got ride of the crap, now it is a rubber piece that goes over the lip to keep it in place, works much better!

Thank you so much for your help! I might have been in over my head if you didn't help me!
Ive had nothing but problems with permatex black, i switched to "the right stuff" by permatex and i will never use anything else. The black stuff sucks, and to answer the reworded first post, see the second post on this thread. Fel-pros will be fine

Thank you for your help! I will be sure to get the permatex stuff "the right stuff". Fel-pros it is!