Let's Talk Sound Deadening

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Ok.. so the interior is out of my fox while I paint it. I have all the factory sound insulation out. I've been looking at all the peal and stick stuff out there. Any of you guys use it? Just on the floor? What about the quarter panels?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok.. so the interior is out of my fox while I paint it. I have all the factory sound insulation out. I've been looking at all the peal and stick stuff out there. Any of you guys use it? Just on the floor? What about the quarter panels?

Now is the time to do it. I was more concerned about heat than noise but it works for both cases. I bought the quilted foil backed stuff. It went down easy enough while everything is out, I just did the floors and I don't know if it made any difference or not since I never drove the car much without it. It will never hurt anything.

There are several products out there, I'm sure that I don't have to tell you. The adhesive backed foil faced stuff that everybody sells will not do jack to stop mechanical noises that come as a byproduct of the cars operation...(they are solely purposed to help eliminate resonance,..i.e. metallic buzzing from all of the said mechanical noises coming from everything else in the car.)
If you are concerned with quieting the car down from engine/transmission/rearend/exhaust noises, You need the foil faced adhesive back 5/8" thick foam stuff on the firewall and under the hood,..the "mass back" jute that can be added to carpet as a barrier between the floor and the passenger compartment, w/ some judicious application of the sticky backed foil faced heat barrier applied to the floor and firewall between all of the other junk...

24f989e6-b021-437d-929f-7968d4d39425_zpsnmf6rvdt-jpg.534638.jpg

7532dc24-3ac8-420f-a975-9a0b4ff53dd0_zpstdscqcrp-jpg.534660.jpg

62757916-3909-4720-acd2-3132f8821f83_zpshfhtaxbd-jpg.534717.jpg

That is unless you want a noisy assed car....I can tell you how to do that too.

Last edited:
I used the dynomat heat shield stuff, there were not that many choices when I did my car, I covered the inside from the toe boards all the way to the tail light panel. It did help with the heat. I did the same thing in the dump truck, a definite difference. I didn't do the roof but I will very soon. I can't tell you if it really lowered the sound level,

Had the mass back foil stuff in my convertible from the firewall to the back of the rear seat. That stuff works great. Need to do my notch back. One day...